Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with external drive

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Problems with external drive

Hi
I recently knocked my external Lacie Porsche 500 gig off the table (small table) and hit the floor about 2 feet only but obviously did something as my Computer recognises there is an external drive attached but wont let me access it to do chkdsk now. It wont load the drivers now either when the drive starts up there is an intermitent squeeking every 20 seconds and then this stops after 5 minutes and the drive seems dead, i have tried it out of the box and put as an internal disk but my computer wont recognise it. Also if i try to boot my computer it wont boot all the time the Lacie is connected any help would be gratefully received..Many Thanks
20 REPLIES 20
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Problems with external drive

You need to find out where the squeaking is coming from.
It's probably just a fan and isn't serious.
Main thing is - does the disk spin up?
If it does, does your BIOS recognise it's presence when you use it as an internal disk?
Whilst the Lacie drive is connected as an internal drive, is your PC trying to boot from the Lacie drive?
If the BIOS is OK you can explore your issues further, but if the BIOS says no then I think you are a bit stuffed.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

IF it was on when it was dropped then BYE BYE drive. The squeaking is probably the head trying to move but being damaged.
Sadly drives are not that robust, and a 2' drop is more than enough to kill them.  Embarrassed
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Think the drive may be gone as the Comp doesnt recognise the drive in the BIOS Oh dear is there any way of getting the data off without going to these expensive recovery sites Huh
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

This is probably in the "urban myth" category... but I would be interested in any results you get, should you decide to try it  Smiley
http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If it isn't even been recognised by the BIOS  Lips_are_sealed
Normally the electronics are OK but the physical drive is bad, but looks like you have both bad.
Try the stuff above but be aware that you are on a slow train to nowhere with it. But have nothing to loose so to speak.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I agree, it seems like the drive is now a duffer. With regards to the freezing, I heard it could work for optical disks but never HDD's. After reading the articles it would seem logical that the parts can contract but I can't see it working in all cases as you may have a terminally damaged head or platter. I'd agree its worth a go though if you want to try to recover files from it as a slave drive.
I wouldn't try to boot from it as that would cause too much disk activity and heat to be generated. If you've just got it out of the freezer thats the last thing you need.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: A
This is probably in the "urban myth" category... but I would be interested in any results you get, should you decide to try it  Smiley
http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

I have got the freezing technique to work on several occasions but my success rate is under 50%.  After freezing it may still take many attempt to get the drive to spin-up normally.  It is only ever a temporary fix but if you can get the disc operating then there should be time to copy the contents elsewhere.  In this case, presumably the external hard drive was acting as a backup drive so it should not be necessary to recover the contents.  You might be able to replace the hard drive and still use the enclosure.   
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: ReedRichards
In this case, presumably the external hard drive was acting as a backup drive

I wouldn't say that. I have a 500GB external and that us my main file storage drive. It's backed up onto my netbook but my main PC has no internal file storage. I can only assume that other people may also do this too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

I have actually been using it for large files and pictures its the pictures i would like to get back i will try the freezing thing and let you know tomorrow if it works Thanks for the input
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Hi
The  freezing thing didnt work in fact it froze my computer and had to do a startup repair to get back working
Strange thing is the hard disk keeps squeeking every few seconds but then the whole thing dies as though it gives up and switches itself off
If i go into devices it shows the lacie is there but wont let me access it or update the driver
but when the sqeeking stops the lacie disappears from the list as though it has switched itself off but the light is on but no one is home
Does this concur with a damaged hard drive am i wasting my time ?
Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thought you said it was an external drive, why did the PC get frozen, are you just one big tale of woe
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can easily take the drive out of its casing and use a Caddy, they dont cost much
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

The PC froze because it was connected to the external hard drive i dont know why it just did the computer can be affected by things attached to it cant it ?Huh
I have taken it out of its case not sure what you mean about use  a caddy maybe if you read my original post it may be more clearer as to my problems
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I did
how is your Lacie connected?, surely by a cable and you managed to drop it 2 ft ? not the PC as well?
any way these are a variety of caddies http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?MenuNo=12756  I got one from Maplins at the bottom end of the scale, Sata/IDE and it connect via USB