Did you mean: 

Problems with external drive

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Problems with external drive

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

I have the pc on the floor and the external disk on top of the pc thats why it was only 2 feet should have had the external hd on the floor as well but hindsight is a wonderful thing if we had it....
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Sorry i am not sure how putting it in a caddy will make it work ?Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I didnt say it would, but that will tell you if it is the Porche bit or the disk
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

An external hard drive is a standard hard disc inside a caddy.  Now you could take the drive out of the Lacie caddy and put it in a different caddy but surely the better option is to eliminate USB & caddies and temporarily connect the failing hard drive directly to the motherboard?
Mav
Fixes: 515

I can confirm that the freezer method can work.
The advice given to me was to put it in the freezer for between 1 and 3 hours. I had a disc (80GB) that failed with clicking and squealing and after freezing for around 2 hours I was able to get some of the data off before it failed again. IIRC I did this twice more before it gave up completely and nothing would help. By then I'd recovered over half the data.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still