cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Virtual Machine Mint 16 (title changed) !

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Problems with Virtual Machine Mint 16 (title changed) !

Quote from: shutter
Don`t recall any instructions about actually adding my username...( have looked back and can`t see any... might have missed it tho ! )..

Wot I wrote - way back on the first page:-
USB you need to add yourself to the vboxusers group. Use the Users & Groups app to do it.
  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yeah.... sorry, but I did not fully understand what you meant by "add yourself"  seeing as my user name was already on the "users" tab.... !..
shutter
Community Veteran

The USB port now works properly !... Thanks... so... 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>moving on  ................
Trying to get a comport working... in VM (xp)...
The "serial port" is configured "disconnected" by default... by a process of "messing about"... I have managed to get windows to open without an error by using "host pipe" with pl2303:067b in the Pipe/File path... this is designated as COM1... ok.. however when I open the CWCOM program and check COMPORT with 1 in the window. I get a permanent "mark" sound, and it is impossible to shut down CWCOM, unless I use X force quit... which shuts down the windows bit...If I re-open CWCOM it shows COM 5 in the box... which... is the COMPORT being used by the Linux Mint 15  ( Host ?)  Now... the VM box only shows COM1 to 4... and "user defined".  ..... However, if I choose this, and open cwcom with com 5 showing.. it does not "connect" reverting back to "keyboard" as the selection...
So.. it seems to me.... that I need to change the Mint 16 COMPORT number from 5 to 1... I think I need to do this in Terminal... with rm something and then give instructions to change the usb0 to read COM1....
Can someone understand that ? and give me what to put in the Terminal box, to change the COM number from 5 to 1, Please ?
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for that.... interesting to read.. however, that is the reverse of what I have got set up... i.e... he is using Windows with Linux on the VM...
at the bottom is his " disclaimer " ! ! !...

If your guest OS is Windows you can use the Hyper Terminal program and port name given in Port Number field of Virtual Box serial port settings.
[/quote}

and, as usual, he assumes the reader knows what he is talking about, and what steps to take !.... ( I don`t..... hence my previous request ! )...
gtowen
Rising Star

@ shutter ....... I thought it might give you an idea... if you scroll down to the comments you see some people have set it up using ubuntu as host and xp as guest. Linux mint is based on ubuntu so I thought it might help Smiley
Excellent write up, thank you. I used this to enable a serial port with Ubuntu 8.04 as the host OS and WinXP as the guest OS. Here is my VM serial port configuration:
Port Number: COM1 (IRQ 4, I/O Port 0x3F8)
Port Mode: Host Device
Port Path: /dev/ttyS0
The only other thing I had to do was add my user account to the Ubuntu “tty” system group so that VirtualBox had permission to access the port. Before I did this, the VM would crash when I tried to start it because it could not access the hardware directly.

shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... I have tried settings as shown ... and reversed them ( cos my setup is reversed)... and also tried /dev/ttyS4 to make it equiv to COM5... but still doesn`t seem to recognise the usb adapter... I have also set it up on the USB  Device filters....
It`s a bit like the USB setup..... I feel I am almost there... just need the key of the door to get in ! ! ...
Still have the feeling it would make things simpler to change the Mint 16 default COM number from 5 to 1... that way it would show COM1 on each end... if you follow... !.. ( or more precisely /dev/ttyS0 and COM1 )
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is this useful?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/484740/converting-serial-port-data-to-tcp-ip-in-a-linux-environme...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gtowen
Rising Star

shutter
Community Veteran

Just confusing me even more ! ! ! ...
Sorry.  Cry
gtowen
Rising Star

Sorry to be confusing  Cry as I said before not had to use serial ports before so unsure what can/might help you.
This is a How to on Serial which might help you, or at least we can knock this off the list Wink
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html
shutter
Community Veteran

Again... confusing !... never mind !... 
To start from scratch. as it were.... 
I have this program....  http://www.mrx.com.au/d_cwcom.htm
and it needs one of these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-Serial-RS-232-RS232-DB9-Adaptor-Converter-Cable-Lead-Wire-9-Pin-0-6...
to connect a morse key ( basic on/off switch! ! ).. to be able to transmit morse over the internet.
When used with windows... it sets itself up, as "new hardware"... and "generally" should connect to COM1... /dev/ttyS0 ( for linux peeps! )... and when you open the CWCOM program you must choose the COM connection... before "connect" to the internet... .
When I set up Mint 16, I needed to define the COMport number and setting using dmesg and other stuff, ( on another post somewhere) and I eventually set this copy of MINT 16 on COM5.
In theory..... using the XP version, it "should" just connect, as normal,... however, I do understand, that XP is being "hosted" under the Linux format, and therefore it "could" (does) cause problems... One of which is the "incompatibility"  ( I think ) between the COM1 on the Linux Serial config, and the COM5 on the actual MINT16 settings...  hence my initial request of how to change the original setting of COM5  ( /dev/ttyS4        ? ? ?  ) to COM1  (/dev/ttyS0 )  so that they are both the same...  and thus, the XP connection would be COM 1 and the VM (MINT16) connection would also be COM1...
For info... the program does "work" on the VM(XP) version... it connects to the internet, and morse can be sent using the mouse, or the keyboard,  but I need to use my morse key, and this is where the COM connection comes into the equation.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK
1st IGNORE the previous stuff you did in wine this is totally different.
Run VB
In the VM usb settings
Click on the the 2nd item on the RHS the one with + on it.
Select your dongle.
Boot the VM,
it should now see the usb->serial and install the s/w/driver for it
You should now have a serial port Gawd knows what number  Cheesy
See how that works.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... I have reverted the Serial Ports to default... and on the USB config.. I have now got the USB/Serial Converter showing
On the VM(XP) Device manager it shows a yellow question mark against it.. so I tried to update the driver, but it reports no driver found ! ! ! .. so I am now downloading a driver on my other laptop, which is a .zip file... will unzip it, and try and install it on the XP windows. and see how it happens...
Maybe getting some progress... but going to have a break from it now for about an hour or so... !...
Thanks for the help. so far...  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star

What you have is a "real" install of XP, it is just running virtually. Now that you have the unit being seen by the VM, it should just need the driver, why didn't you download it in the VM???
Have you played with shared folders yet? That will be the next obvious place to go.
I'm off now till tomorrow am, off to cook dinner and watch some movies  Smiley