cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Virtual Machine Mint 16 (title changed) !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Problems with Virtual Machine Mint 16 (title changed) !

Been working on Mint 16 for a few days now... and, glad to say, progress is being made.... now thinking of having a virtual machine and would like some recommendations on an easy to use application, and any tips on how to install, so I can run Windows XP for the Windows Progs that I can`t get working on Mint 16 . cinamon.
Thanks. Wink
73 REPLIES 73
dragon2611
Grafter

Re: Recommendations for a Virtual Machine Mint 16

Virtualbox or KVM might be options.
KVM might be better as support for it is usually included in most distos, I use it  on Proxmox (Debian based hyper-visor OS) but I've not tried using it to run a VM on a "desktop" build of Linux as I've yet to find a build of Linux I'd be happy to run on the Desktop.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I use VitualBox, get it from the ppa ppa:debfx/virtualbox for an updated version.
Open Software-Sources and click the ppa button then add.
Then run Synaptic, update the cache, and search for virtualbox.
You need to visit the VB web site to get the driver if you want to use usb devices in a VM.

EDIT: Fix url.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Thanks... will give Virtual Box a go...  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

On this page....
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
There are so many choices... but I think I should use....the first one.... however.. it then gives another choice... i386  or  amd64 
Which should I choose ?  basic laptop  32 bit .... Mint 16 cinamon..    Undecided
HairyMcbiker
All Star

IF you had gone with what I offered you wouldn't be on that page.
Since you have installed a 32bit Linux you need a 32bit VM.
Please try and remember this isn't M$ you don't normally have to track a program installer down, just install the ppa and all the updates will automatically be installed when they are released.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yup !... i copied what you had put into Terminal...but it did not recognize it... so went to Synaptic Manager and typed in VirtualBox... and it showed version 4.2.1  so got that installed, then went to your next link for the USB bit... and it could not install it cos it was for version 4.3.10... !... so I uninstalled 4.2.1 and actually used the I386 version on the top line... have now got it working... and XP is installed on the box... so now I have to install the SP2 and SP3 cd`s... and then get all the updates !...
so far... so good !
Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do you need to bother with the SP stuff?
Unless you are exposing stuff to the internet nothing really bad ought to happen.
The worst that is likely to happen is that Windows gets trashed. Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... good question, Foxy.... Basically, I want it for running MS type progs that don`t run on WINE... however.. I will need to connect to the net, (probably) to download the latest versions, and also update them... Probably won`t be doing any "surfing" and looking for stuff , as I am (nearly) OK with Mint... for that side of things... Won`t be using it for emails either.  Just wondering if some of the progs will need the updates and SP`s to make them work properly....
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: Problems with Virtual Machine Mint 16 (title changed) !

Viz a Viz my other printing problem with Mint 16.... maybe ..... working with XP and trying to get my Printer recognised and set up on Virtual Box XP...
Have checked "settings" and it shows "enable USB"  checked... however when I run XP... that page is "greyed out"... and also the usb icon at the bottom shows "no usb hardware connected"...
So I can`t connect my USB memory stick... nor my USB CD/DVD drive... nor my printer.... however.. the mouse is connected via USB and works fine... ( so does the internal CD/DVD drive)...
None of the "extras" listed above, work in the mouse usb port though....
Have tried connecting the printer via wireless, but it says the MAC and IP are incorrect...yet they tie up with the one I already have listed for my "normal" Windows connection (Vista Home Premium)...
Need to get the USB connection working methinks...( and need it for my CWCOM usb/serial adapter anyway)...
Any ideas?
Also.. still getting the printing notifications everytime I switch on / connect the printer via usb  ( to the mint  part of this setup ! !)  confusing  innit ! ! ..  Huh
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Again if you had installed the ppa like I asked:
In software-sources
PPA tab
Click add
paste this:
ppa:debfx/virtualbox
accept & close.
Run synaptic, update and VB 4.3 is there.
USB you need to add yourself to the vboxusers group. Use the Users & Groups app to do it.
WRT the printer wireless, what type of connection did you give the VM? Is it Bridged or NAT? For a normal operation you want Bridged, so it will get an "normal" ip address like the rest of your machines (192.168.1.x)
On the printers setup did you run the print monitor to see if there is a stuck job? Open the printers app, press CTRL-F or Printer/View Queue
shutter
Community Veteran

Printer working fine on Linux Mint 16 ... wireless,... no problems there now.

Right then... VB4.3 installed and running Virtual XP....
Checked Users and Groups... added vboxusers .... and it appears in the groups tab....
On the VB.... Devices tab... USB .... no usb devices attached..... despite there being my USB memory stick ( recognised by Mint and showing contents )...  and despite the previously mentioned USB enabled... it is still greyed out ( although you can see it is checked as enabled)...
Huh
@ HB.... have also done this... ( you mentioned in reply number 2 ) ..... 

You need to visit the [ur=http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.3.10/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.10-93012.vbox-extpackl]VB web site[/url] to get the driver if you want to use usb devices in a VM.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Have you logged off/on again for the user group changes to take effect?
Did you also install it into VB?  (The driver pack)
shutter
Community Veteran

Erm.....no.. didn`t log out and in again.....  running xp SP2 at the moment... so will do that after it finishes....
Yes... it did that automatically
HairyMcbiker
All Star

This is about the only time Linux requires you to log off/reboot. A change in user permissions, almost everything else can be done by quitting the running program (for an update) etc.
Well catch you tomorrow if you are installing xp + updates  Cheesy