cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Solwise Homeplug

waldron
Grafter

Problems with Solwise Homeplug

I recently purchased three Homeplug PL-200AV-PUSH devices, believing them to be simple plug and play. However, after a week of effort I haven't been able to access the internet. For testing, I switched off everything except my desktop pc running Vista and a D-Link wireless router.
When I connect one Homeplug (D6) to the pc, the AV Utility shows a Device MAC Address of 00:00:00:00:00:00, which I understand means it isn't recognised. If I unplug that and replace it with the second Homeplug (D7), the Utility shows the correct MAC address. If I then connect D6 to the router, I can see the Device MAC address in the Utility Remote Devices but there is no Bridge MAC Address.
When I plug in the third Homeplug (E2), all three lights flash red continuously.
I'm tempted to think that D6 and E2 are faulty, but I'm reluctant to do that until I am sure that I am not doing anything wrong. Can anyone offer advice please.
8 REPLIES 8
jtn
Grafter

Re: Problems with Solwise Homeplug

hi.
What lights show when you plug the units into the mains, plug them all in and don't forget to switch the power on 🙂 , and what lights show when you connect them to a pc or the router. I've got the 85 units and they are green lights but one is on solid when the power is on, another flashes when it is looking for other units and the third come on when an ethernet cable is connected. (Flashes when data is being passed).
I've never used the utility so I don't know what it should show.
Cheers
Jon
waldron
Grafter

When D6 and D7 are plugged in (I've used the last two characters of the MAC address to identify them) without anything connected, the top two lights (power and powerline activity) are green, so they recognise each other.
When I connect ethernet cables, the third light is green on each also.
As I said, when E2 is plugged in, it's three lights are red and flashing continuously.
jtn
Grafter

Hi.
So D6 and D7 should be working then so when one is connected with cat5 to the router and the other to a pc you still don't have internet?. What does the manual say about the red lights on the third unit?
Cheers
Jon
waldron
Grafter

Yes, both D6 and D7 appear to be connecting to each other. The AV Utility should display the (local) homeplug MAC, but with D6 connected to the pc, it is all zeros. The documentation just says this means the device is not detected by the network card. If I swap the homeplugs round (so D7 is connected to the pc) the MAC displays OK, and also the remote D6 device, but that doesn't connect to the router.
There is nothing in the documentation at all about the lights flashing red.
jtn
Grafter

Hi.
I don't get that, the ethernet light says it's plugged in so should work (d6) but apparently it doesn't.
I don't really know what to suggest other than to reset the devices and start again. Maybe a browse on the solwise forum will bring something up.
Cheers
Jon
waldron
Grafter

Thanks, Jon. D6 detects that a cable is connected, but my NIC isn't detecting the device itself. I've also tried it in my laptop with exactly the same result.
I'll try resetting later today. A hardware reset on E2 has made no difference.
I've already spent a couple of days searching the solwise forum, but can't find anything similar. I've posted a question on there also, but no replies yet.
waldron
Grafter

I've been in touch with Solwise Tech Support today and they have confirmed that the two devices are faulty and should be returned.
jtn
Grafter

Phew... At least you hadn't missed something simple in setting them up 🙂
You'll see how easy it all works when the new ones arrive, and knowing Solwise it will be sooner rather than later.
Cheers
Jon