Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Google Chrome

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Problems with Google Chrome

Some members may recall a while ago I was having trouble with getting Chrome to start. I was offered a number of solutions, sadly none of which worked and I just put up as I don't need it very often with needing a number of attempts to get Chrome to open which it usually did, 10 attempts was my record, using Task Manager to "end task" each time..

Today, I was tinkering with removing the Win 10 shortcut overlay (successfully as it happens) one result of this is that Chrome now opens every time without any problem.

Uhmm!! I wonder why?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Problems with Google Chrome

@petlew wrote:

... the Win 10 shortcut overlay....

The what?  Do you mean you removed a shortcut to Google Chrome or that you somehow removed the shortcut function from Windows?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReedRichards I'm thinking @petlew might be referring to the curled arrow icon that appears on desktop short cuts to show that it's a link to an application and not the application itself.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

and that overlay would have zero affect on whether chrome loaded instantly or not.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quite right mook, that is exactly what I meant (Its what Microsoft call it).

Its a Registry tweak. The one I used offers no arrow, smaller arrow or larger arrow. I had no arrow.

And chenks76, you're right too, I spoke too soon. After 10 or more test consecutive (some split by restarts) openings of Chrome yesterday without a problem, My first use this morning finds me back where I was needing the Task Manager to get it going again. Starting the third try.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@petlew, you might want to have a look at the network traffic while this jam is in place, it may provide some insight as to why chrome is stalling like it does.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

have you tried deleting the chrome user profile and starting chrome from scratch?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Yes, Chrome maintains a User Data folder that is not deleted if you uninstall and re-install Chrome.  In my experience it's the most likely source of persistent problems.  In my case it is located in App data > Local > Google > Chrome .  Back-up anything you want to keep first then delete or rename the folder.