Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using Internet Explorer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problems using Internet Explorer

@penneck wrote:
I'm using Win 7 and IE11. I used the link you sent and found the MS web page that listed IE11, but when I clicked the Next button, it said the page wasn't available. I then tried navigating under the Web Browser list, but it didn't include IE11 for Win 7. It had several other IE versions, but it only had IE11 for Win 8.1 - could I use that, or would it cause more problems?

No two web site would be the same for the very reason you say @penneck, as regards the Msg 1 it is what it is with no context I'm afraid its meaningless.

As for the above you first need to select the version you want assuming the site doesn't auto select for you. Use the radio buttons to select a version of 32 or 64 bit (the last two options above the Next button). If you don't know the 'bitness' of your OS you can find out by using the Control Panel's System option.

Once you've selected your OS and clicked next the download begins so you may want to look in your download directory for a file beginning with EIE11_EN-GB... as it may well have downloaded the last time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

penneck         wrote If I go to Chrome or Firefox, would I be able to have something like the Favourites list that IE11 has?

If you use Chrome favourites are called bookmarks and its easy to use.

To use the  bookmark you just click on the star at top right hand corner and its lists them under Other Bookmarks also on the RHS

To clear browsing history etc you click on the three horizontal dots right hand corner a drop down box appears just click on More Tools 

When you have used it for a while its quite easy to use but things are called different names and if there is something you need just Google it and the answer is normally there

Brian A

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Attached are two screen grabs for what I see when I use your link

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I guess if this is the same you saw the first time round then you are already running the latest version and this is Microsoft trying to be helpful. If it's not the same then it may be because the first time you visited you downloaded it without knowing so if this is the case then check your downloads location.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@penneck

Slightly OT, and I know it doesn't solve your IE problem, but assuming you have a Smart Phone, have you considered using an App for your train times?

I can't remember when I last went on a train prior to a couple of months ago, but when I then had cause to do so, I downloaded an App called Trainline from the Google Playstore (also available for Apple phones).

The App allows you to look up train times for your planned journey, giving prices, journey times, stations called at, train changes by station and platform etc.

It also allows you to purchase your ticket and store it electronically within the App (ISTR you can opt to print it instead if you wish).  During your journey it indicates your progress provided you have access to the trains Wi-Fi (if not you'll need to use your phones data allowance).

I found it very convenient.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@RobPN Unless they have changed, Trainline charge a booking fee, which is avoided if you get one of the actual TOCs apps.

I have one for each of the operators I use on a regular basis, but IIRC, you can use just one. Can't confirm that, as I do my booking via the laptop, just using the app to store the ticket if that option is available - it isn't with all tickets at the moment.

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello RobPN

Using a smart phone is a thought (though I haven't got one), but I could just use Chrome on my pc. It's just that I don't like Chrome. I prefer IE11, and over the last 6 months, National Rail was the second web site that had developed problems when accessing it on IE11. I was just trying to find a solution so that I could still use IE11. As can be seen from earlier posts on this topic, others using Win 7 and IE11 can still access National Rail. Why not me?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

@JayG wrote:

Having used the IE variants 'forever' I dumped IE11 about six months ago in favour of Chrome as it was struggling to load or correctly render an increasing number of websites.

I don't normally give up without a fight even when the problem is way outside my knowledge/comfort zone, but in this instance I just assumed that IE11 had slowly become a legacy product and a solution would likely be beyond me.

Just tried National Rail website on IE11 (WIn7) and it works fine!

Don't know to what extent you've customised your IE11, but you must have a clash somewhere preventing the site from loading correctly. 

Chrome is OK when you get used to it - as for doubts about allowing Google to intrude further into my life, I just console myself with the thought that as long as I don't tell anyone about my plans to blow up the Houses of Parliament I should be OK, and if they really know more about me than I do myself it could even come in handy if I never need an online shrink! Cheesy Crazy3 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@jab1 wrote:

@RobPN Unless they have changed, Trainline charge a booking fee, which is avoided if you get one of the actual TOCs apps.

I have one for each of the operators I use on a regular basis, but IIRC, you can use just one. Can't confirm that, as I do my booking via the laptop, just using the app to store the ticket if that option is available - it isn't with all tickets at the moment.

@jab1

You're probably correct about the fee, I can't remember, but if I was charged it would only have been about a £1 otherwise it would have stuck in my mind!  Even National Express charge a fee (£1 ?) for booking a coach ticket online!

As I'm unlikely to be using either in the foreseeable, I won't be able to confirm the amount.  Smiley

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@penneck

What happens if you open IE11 in an 'InPrivate Browsing' session then try the Rail site?

I believe this disables any cookies, extensions etc. that are installed.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@RobPN wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

@jab1

You're probably correct about the fee, I can't remember, but if I was charged it would only have been about a £1 otherwise it would have stuck in my mind!  Even National Express charge a fee (£1 ?) for booking a coach ticket online!

As I'm unlikely to be using either in the foreseeable, I won't be able to confirm the amount.  Smiley

I use the rail network quite a bit, @RobPN, so the £1.00's would soon add up. As a Yorkshireman born and bred, I don't like giving money away if I can help it.Wink

Yes, National Express charge  a 'booking fee', but as I very rarely use them, and if I do, go for 'early booking' prices, I'm still quids in.

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Morning RobPN

I didn't know about 'In Private Browsing' so I've just Googled it. It took some finding, and, as usual with MS, there isn't much info on how to use it, but I got enough to start it. It then tells you that In Private Browsing will stop when I close the window it had opened, but didn't suggest how to do searches. I guessed that I should open a second tab (something else MS don't tell you about ort how to do it - I've only known a couple of years). I was able to get into National Rail without a problem, so it looks like there is something on my pc that gets used when I am not in Private mode.

Progress hooray. Thanks Rob.

Now do you know of a way I can sort out what is making the difference, please?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Guess what. Since my reply a few minutes ago, I have tried my normal way into the National Rail web site, and I can get in now without a problem. The only difference between yesterday and today, as far as I can see, is that there is now two bars - (1) a bar across near the top with a message about problems on Merseyrail (and I cannot believe that was the solution), and (2) a bar across the bottom asking if I will accept cookies, which I answer Yes to - I never used to get asked about cookies on this web site, so why now? Does this mean that using In Private Browsing has cleared the problem rather than just bypassing it, or what?

Let's hope the cure lasts (and that the need to agree to cookies here will also go). On the subject of repeatedly getting asked about something, PlusNet keep asking me to take part in a questionnaire. I did it the first time they asked, are they ever going to stop asking?

Thanks to all for your suggestions

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@penneck

My preferred method to open an InPrivate Browsing session is to simply right-click the IE taskbar button and the option is then included in the menu that pops up.

The initial tab presented when the browser opens is just like any normal tab, it's just that it has different initial content informing you about InPrivate Browsing, rather than what you have chosen for your normal sessions (e.g. Google or other search engine).  You can then use it like any other tab, but no harm done by opening another.

You could try disabling any extensions in a normal session one by one to try and find if any of those is causing the problem;

Top right of your browser window (or Tools drop-down menu) - Tools / Manage add-ons.

Then select them one at a time and toggle the Disable/Enable button.

Note it's probably worth making a note of any you change so you can put them back to their previous state if desired.

EDIT: I hadn't seen your latest reply when I posted the above!

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I'm sorry to say that didn't last long. Not only is the fault back, it's also there when I try In Private Browsing too

I will try your Manage Add-ons. See how that goes

Cheers