cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using Internet Explorer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problems using Internet Explorer

I don't use that software but it may well be as simple as File > Save As sorry I can't be more useful.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@penneck The easiest way to get a screen grab in W7 is to use the 'Snipping tool' available in 'Accessories' - this will enable you to select the area you wish to copy, and to save it in a suitable place so you can easily find it for uploading into a post.

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks jab1, Snipping did the trick. Now to try to attach the screengrab

jab1
Legend

@penneck I notice from your screen-grab that you have Firefox installed. Does the National Rail site work correctly in that browser? If it does, it suggests IE11 is broke somewhere - or the site doesn't like it,

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that is odd @penneck, the only time I've seen something similar is with the Billing System! Are you comfortable using the JavaScript console? You can open it with F12 and select Console from within IE. This might give you an insight as to what (isn't) happening.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

jab1 - having only just loaded Firefox earlier today, I've only just tried it. Most times the National Rail site opens correctly, but twice it did similar to what my IE11 did - clear the screen and then freeze

Mook - I have never used JavaScript (knowingly), but by selecting 'F12 Developer Tools', then Debugger, I found something that has what looks like Html programming. I am definitely not a software expert, particularly html - I used various forms of Algol and Fortran over 40 years ago, but nothing since then.

jab1
Legend

I can't offer an explanation for that, @penneck - sorry. My default Firefox browser 'just works', it has never done as you describe.

I'll leave further investigation to those who know more than me, but will continue to follow this in case anything else comes to mind.

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

jab1 - thankyou for your help. It is appreciated

Graham

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Win10 & IE11 here, no problems; entered London Victoria to Eastbourne via the drop down menus, and got to the bit where you click on payment details where I stopped since I didn't want to travel.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Mook - I managed to get into F12, and copied the html showing. It wont let me attach a copy in Nat Rail Msg 1 - don't know why but it is just one line of html - I may need to change its format and try again.

I then clicked on the Back Arrow button (top left-hand corner of screen) and got Nat Rail Msg 2 (attached). I clicked on the 'x' to kill that message, and saw Nat Rail Msg 3 (attached)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for taking the time to do this @penneck. I see from the two images that there are obvious issues the one of most interest is Msg 2 as the js.map referenced at the bottom is loadable albeit as a minified script. Msg 3 appears to be a side effect of the first.

How up to date is your version of IE? I assume you have the latest and greatest one for your OS?

Download latest version from here remembering to get the correct 32 or 64 bit version for your OS.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Having used the IE variants 'forever' I dumped IE11 about six months ago in favour of Chrome as it was struggling to load or correctly render an increasing number of websites.

I don't normally give up without a fight even when the problem is way outside my knowledge/comfort zone, but in this instance I just assumed that IE11 had slowly become a legacy product and a solution would likely be beyond me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you've hit the nail on the head there @JayG, IE and Windows 7 are no where near the top of Microsoft's TODO list so the best fix for @penneck may well be to find a suitable replacement browser.

Having said that I'd be inclined to use Firefox over Chrome, as it's a Google product I simply do not trust it.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello Mook

Sorry for the delay - I had to go out. Here is the missing Msg 1. The original I had recorded as a Word file which is why I couldn't attach it to the earlier post, but I used the Snipping Tool to produce this one. I've compared this html program to one that worked to another railway timetable web site that worked, and its nothing like the second one, but then I suppose two different people wrote the source programs so that is to be expected

I'm using Win 7 and IE11. I used the link you sent and found the MS web page that listed IE11, but when I clicked the Next button, it said the page wasn't available. I then tried navigating under the Web Browser list, but it didn't include IE11 for Win 7. It had several other IE versions, but it only had IE11 for Win 8.1 - could I use that, or would it cause more problems?

If I go to Chrome or Firefox, would I be able to have something like the Favourites list that IE11 has?

Cheers for now

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Yes, you can import your favourites to Chrome directly from IE11.

Don't know about FF.