cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using Internet Explorer

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Problems using Internet Explorer

I prefer to use Internet Explorer rather than Chrome, but lately, I have been having problems accessing some web sites on IE. If I am desperate enough to use it, I can access them on Chrome. The latest of these problem sites is the Network Rail train times web site. Any ideas what is causing this? I would like to get them back on IE if I can

45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problems using Internet Explorer

@penneck For what it's worth, I thought that Microsoft had pensioned off I.E. in favour of Edge, does the site work with it?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello Mook. What is Edge? Is this a Win 10 thing. I'm still on Win 7

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@penneck

I'm still using Win7 and IE11 (also Chrome).

If you mean the site at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ , I just tried it and it seems to be working fine for me. (I note there doesn't seem to be an https version available).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning penneck

My IE is working fine I'm on Windows 10

Are you using the latest version Explorer 11

Just a thought are you deleting browsing history on a regularly or have you set it to do it "Delete Browsing History ON Exit"

If not Tools top right hand corner  drop down box click on Internet Options then tick box tick box in Browsing History

Brian A

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah! Yes it is, but it will be available on Windows 7 and Mac! at some point in the future.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bringing-edge-windows-7-and-mac

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I am using Win 7 and IE11. The web site is the nationalrail one mentioned by RobPN. The window opens up showing where you put in the departure station and destination, etc, then goes blank - and that is how it stays until I give up. The little spinning circle at the top of the screen is the only sign of life.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@penneck, the spinning wheel implies that the page is still loading possibly meaning that it can't download all of the resources needed to render the complete page. It may be a worthwhile exercise to do as @Anonymous suggests and clear your browser cache and give it another try. Nothing ventured ...

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've tried what 8BKA suggested, but there has been no change. The main window below the drop-down menu titles goes through setting up the boxes you need to fill in for the departure/destination/time, etc, but then goes blank and stays blank, though sometimes that revolving circle gates replaced by the British Rail double-arrow symbol and the words "National Rail Enquiries" (if my memory serves me correctly).

I noticed that the sites I have this access problem with have additional, no-doubt revenue earning, ads in them. Could these ads be the cause? Do I need to download some software to cope with them?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

A small update - in my previous post, where I stated the words were "National Rail Enquiries", it actually says "nationalrail.co.uk"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any chance you can take a screen grab of what you're seeing, and for that it's worth I visited the site myself using FireFox with Adblock Plus installed and it worked for me.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Like me, RobPN has Win 7 and IE11. Unlike me, he has no problem with this nationalrail.co.uk site.

Also, how do I do a screen grab? I know how to do a screen print and produce a pdf from it.

Having sorted out the screen grab, how do I get it to you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@penneck I assume you have an image file of some sort (png, jpg) that you used within this PDF? If you do then use the 'Insert Photos' icon in the composition window when you make a reply. You don't need to send the PDF just the image within it.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

se the Print Screen button, then paste the result into Microsoft Office Picture Manager. At that point it is a bmp file. Normally I print this using CutePDF Writer to produce a pdf file. I don't know how to convert it to a png or jpg file.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

The post I have only just sent should have started "I use the Print Screen button". Sorry for the typo