cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems rigging up my router

drdeej
Dabbler

Problems rigging up my router

I have just got a Thomson router from PlusNet and I am having problems getting things working on my computer. Now, the router appears to be working so I don't think there is a problem there however it is the connections that I am having a problem with. I don't have ethernet so I can only hook up wirelessly. I originally had my computer try and hook up to the router on an automatic IP but I was getting error messages back saying "Limited or no connection". I went into network settings and entered the IP in manually and the subnet mask however I am not quite sure what numbers I should be entering for the default gateway. At the moment my laptop is talking with the router and can sustain a connection however, I am not getting any data transfer. I've entered the IP into my web browser to set up my router and I just keep getting "page cannot be displayed". I've been at this now for 12 hours and I have kept my cool so far (a new record for me). If anybody can help I would be greatful.
15 REPLIES 15
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Problems rigging up my router

Don't know if this will be helpful or not but ...... I was trying to connect my daughter's PC (running XP SP3)  to an O2 Thomson router wirelessly yesterday using a Linksys Wireless Adapter and its own software; had virtually exactly the same probs as you so finally I disabled the Linksys sotware and used XP's own  Wireless s/ware - connected straightaway.  Smiley
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Can you try using Wireless Channel 11?
It's probably also a good idea to give the CSC a buzz as they'll be able to talk you through any configuration problems.
drdeej
Dabbler

I did ring up yesterday but to no avail. Somebody was supposed to ring me back regarding the issue.
I have also tried opening up another program, in this instance MSN Messenger, and seeing if anything happens with that. Obviously, I couldn't connect but it did a status report for me and everything was fine except for the DNS (Your DNS appears unable to resolve IP addresses was the message I got). I have also ran Network Diagnostics as well and that seems unable to sort the problem out.
How do I switch to channel 11?
samuria
Grafter

Right can we check a few things open a cmd window by going to start then run type cmd press return.
Now type
ping www.plus.net ;   when thats finished type
ping 194.119.131.66
If you get an error on the first one with no reply but the second one receives a reply then your dns isnt set up correctly.
Open up you network connection and set the dns manually to      208.67.222.222 and
That should solve it. If it doesnt from the cmd prompt type
ipconfig /all and post the results
Have you setup encryption as if you dont enter the passcode on the pc correct it wont work. If this is the case then remove it and try again lets get it working first. If you have the wrong passcode etc you can only change things via a Ethernet cable. You should allways setup the router with a cable first
drdeej
Dabbler

I can't use ethernet because there is no connection for ethernet on my laptop unless I go out and buy a card adaptor which I'm not happy to do because the sole purpose of the exercise is to run everything wirelessly. I have done everything you asked to no avail so here is a print out of my config.
Windows IP Configuration
host name : private-32367d1
Primary DNS Suffix :
Node Type : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled : No
WINS Proxy Enabled : No
Ethernet adapter Wireless Netwrk Connection
Connection-specific DNS suffix :
Description : Realtek RTL9190 Wireless LAN (Mini-)
PCI NIC
Physical Address : 00-E0-F2-39-5F
Dhcp Enabled : No
IP Address : 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.1.48 [I query this]
DNS Servers : 208.67.222.222
Just to confirm - my computer is recognizing the router and connecting but after that that is it. Hope the information helps with a diagnosis.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried with DHCP enabled on your laptop?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paulby
Grafter

The default gateway should be192.168.1.254.
You've also given your PC the same IP address as the router (router's default home page is 192.168.1.254) which will cause a conflict so you'll need to assign something else - try 192.168.1.50 for example (this is also outside the Thomson's default DHCP pool so should avoid any conflicts - the router's default pool is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253).
I also set one of these up wirelessly for my mother in law with no issues by following the procedure here. It may be worth setting your PC back to get an IP address automatically, factory resetting the router and starting from scratch if all else fails!
Edit: from a working connection:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.50
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
  DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
Edit:  removed DHCP server address as not required
drdeej
Dabbler

How do you enter the info for DHCP Server because I cannot find a field for this.
I have tried everything else and I'm still not getting any further. Except to say when I changed the IP address instead of getting page cann0ot be displayed in IE straight it pauses ans waits a few moments first. If I automatically detect IP I go back to having the problem of Limited or no connection. Here's a print out of network diagnostics that I ran (if anybody can decipher it). I'm going into hospital soon so it might be a few days before I can have a poke around again.
Gateway
info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Enabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list: 
info Could not get proxy settings via the Automatic Proxy Configuration mechanism
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.1.254
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.1.50
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
warn The default gateway address could not be resolved via ARP
action Automated repair: Reset network connection
action Disabling the network adapter
action Enabling the network adapter
info Network adapter successfully enabled
action Manual repair: Reboot modem
info Waiting some time for the modem/router to stabilize
info Redirecting user to support call

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table
info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries
action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address
info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.50

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled
Wireless - User SSID
action User input required: Specify network name or SSID
Wireless - First time setup
info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to connect = Thomson55E000.
Wireless - Radio off
info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.50
Wireless - Out of range
Wireless - Hardware issue
Wireless - Novice user
Wireless - Ad-hoc network
Wireless - Less preferred
Wireless - 802.1x enabled
Wireless - Configuration mismatch
Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status
info IrDA protocol is not found in Winsock catalog.
info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection
info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8180 Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=isp-q.com, Device=ThinkPad Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Network connection: Name=My ISP, Device=ThinkPad Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Wireless connection selected
Network adapter status
info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved 
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved 
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

paulby
Grafter

You won't see an option for the DHCP server address as it's not required if you set up a static IP. (I've edited my original post accordingly - my apologies if this confused the issue.)
I still think that your best bet is to set your connection back to obtaining an IP address and DNS server address automatically, reset the Thomson router to factory default by pressing the small recessed button on the back with a pen for a few seconds and then follow the set up instructions here.
Have you manged to enter your Plusnet credentials into the router yet (including the @plusdsl.net part of your username)?  That should all happen as part of the set up wizard once you get a connection.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why did you choose openDNS instead of the Plusnet ip DNS servers?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

paulby
Grafter

No particular reason - they were the ones that were set in the PC that that particular router is connected to - I just cut and pasted the data from IPconfig.
You could equally set the DNS to the router's IP as it acts as a DNS server or to any of the PN servers.
For the OP's benefit these are: 212.159.13.49   
In the default state the Thomson router will pick up PN's servers but will pass out its own IP address as the DNS server by DHCP.
samuria
Grafter

Setting the DNS to opendns is ok you should never use your router as DNS as there was the massive flaw in DNS and most router may have this fault so Opendns or plusnets DNS are fine.
There is a lot to read through but it seems there is no wireless working so either you have turned it off on the laptop or its off on the router.
Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled
Wireless - User SSID
action User input required: Specify network name or SSID
Wireless - First time setup
info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to connect = Thomson55E000.
Wireless - Radio off
Check there is no function button that turns of wireless if this is correct this is were the problem is.
Its very hard to set up a router without a ethernet connection is there no way you can beg steal or borrow a pc or laptop with a network connection to set it up for the first time it would save loads of agro as you can see on the router whats going on
drdeej
Dabbler

I managed to get a USB / Ethernet adaptor which I plugged into the USB port. however, when I plug it in the Ethernet light does not light up on the router and my computer brings a balloon up saying "The USB device you have connected has malfunctioned". Does this mean there could be a fault for the router?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

For configuration purposes, it is not necessary for the router to be plugged in to the telephone system.
If possible, I would take it and plug it into another computer - using an ethernet cable (no USB converter).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."