cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems With IE8(SOLVED)

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Problems With IE8(SOLVED)

Hi im running windows seven on a new pc but i keep running into problems with internet explorer,ive tried firefox aswell and i get the same error just told in a different way,ive reset the browser,cleared the cookies,tried everything i can think of and yet this problem keeps happening,when i click on a link to go elsewhere i get this what ive attached in my screenshot,can someone please help me as its driving me nuts now and really considering going back to ubuntu if i cant get this fixed as its happening regularly. Sad
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Problems With IE8

With Firefox I would suggest disabling DNS Prefetching as that fixed a similar problem for me
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/controlling_dns_prefetching
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi there oldjim,thanks for the link i will most def be giving this ago,any ideas what i can do with IE8?would you believe just clicking on your link first time and i was taken to that blasted error page again,BUT if i just stay on the error page and hit refresh it takes me to where i want to go,its driving me barmy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The other possibility is a DNS problem.
What are the DNS settings in Windows
You can get them by running ipconfig /all from the DOS window (note the space between ipcofig and  /all
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well i cant copy and paste them results so ive taken a screenshot of the first half,you need the second half oldjim?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Could it be an erratic connection, due to a faulty cable/router/wireless adaptor, so you keep momentarily losing your internet connection?.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I thought about that reedrichards but no, im connected when this happens,nothing wrong there.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

oldjim that dos command was interesting,do you know what teredo tunneling psuedo is?thats cropped up a few times in device manager with the yellow exclamation mark beside my network adaptor,and a few system images later and its not there at all?but my network card driver is and its fine?Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have no idea what teredo tunneling is - sorry.
You are using your router as a DNS server. This may be part of the problem
The reason the DNS server is showing up as your router as you have the router set to get DNS servers automatically. If you change them to defined servers then that reflects straight through to windows.
Alternatively you can change the DNS servers in Windows 7 as follows
Go to Control Panel
View Network Status and Tasks
Click on Local Area Connection
Properties
Internet Protocol v4
Properties
I use 8.8.8.8 as Primary (Google) and 212.159.3.50 as Secondary (Plusnet) but I have them coded in my router and it shows up in ipconfig as follows
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
Note to copy and paste from a DOS window right click in the window and select either Mark (then you can select the bits you want in the text) and then press the enter key. You can then paste it into the post. Alternatively you can click on Select All then press return to copy the lot.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah that terredo thing seems to pop up only when it stops working,which can and has randomly,i could not manage to get them dns settings put in through the first way you have described but ive managed to put them settings in through my router.
Heres the full dos now..
Edit ok ive managed it the first way you described there oldjim and heres the dns from dos..
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
Is it fine to leave them settings in my router also?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Leave alone and see if it solves the problem
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regarding Teredo Tunneling that appears to be associated with IPv6 and Plusnet don't support IPv6 only IPv4
A quick Google found how to disable it as it isn't necessary
Teredo is enabled by default on Windows Vista/7 but is inactive until required.
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/46575-teredo-tunneling-issue.html
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Oldjim,topman,so far my browsing and clicking links is very much improved,infact a huge improvement,the teredo tunneling query?once again,topman,i hadnt bothered too much about looking into this to be honest as it was the least on my mind,but when you gave me that dos command and i seen that in there and going by whats happened to me so far i thought perhaps there was more into this which was why i ran it by you.
I tell you,new pc,new windows,its just been a right burger this last while,allsorts playing up and causing havoc,im not changing again ever Grin
Many thank's for your help,it's been very much appreciated,thanks to everyone else though here who chipped in there pennies worth.(just one of the reasons i like this forum,full of great knowledgeable folk's)