Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem sending email with attachment

Mav
Fixes: 514

Problem sending email with attachment

The attachment is a 66MB pdf file.
Webmail tells me that it's greater than the 7MB limit - can that be changed?
Outlook 2010 informed me it was greater than the 20MB limit initially set and found a fix for that.
But when I send click Send the email goes straight to the Sent folder with the green progress bar appearing at the bottom only briefly. With an upload speed of only 1MB I would expect it to take over a minute to send.
I've never had such a problem with Outlook 2007 which is on the main PC but I only have the laptop at the moment so am a bit stuck.
Can anyone offer further advice, please.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES 13
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Problem sending email with attachment

Most Mail systems have an upper limit on File attachment size and 66 Meg is very likely to fail somewhere on route.
For a file that size using Dropbox might be more appropriate.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav

It's a document to Southern Electric so I may contact them on Monday to see if they will be prepared to download from something like DropBox.
I have been able to send files larger than that to some receipients using Outlook 2007 from my main PC at home.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Does the document need to be that big - are there graphics where you could reduce the resolution
Mav

Possibly, Oldjim. It's an 11 page scanned copy of the Power of Attorny in relation to my mother. I converted each 2.5MB page to pdf then joined them to form one document.
I will reduce the size of the jpegs then see what size pdf file they make. If still too large then will probably just send the jpges in a zip/rar file.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

When you say you converted to a pdf I assume that you scanned as a jpg not as a pdf
In which case you could change the resolution of the pdf images when you convert them - this may be more useful
Mav

I used pdf Xchange Editor and dragged each jpg into a blank window then saved as pdf. Couldn't see any options to change the resolution.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Mav

I tried batch conversion using IrfanView from jpg to pdf but it failed to save for some reason.
I then used the batch conversion to reduce the dpi from 300 to 100 then converted to pdf with the resultant file being a more manageable 11MB.
That file was sent ok but was returned as undeliverable to the email address given so I reckon they have some miniscule limit as a text only email has been received without issue.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Don't forget that a file is considerably bigger when attached to an email because of the MIME encoding.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Place the file on a web site or on free Cloud Storage such as SpiderOak [not Dropbox].
Then email a link to your file.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How about sending ( say) 5 emails with just a few pages each to make up the total content?
Mav

Plenty of options, thanks folks  Kiss

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

http://www.drop-dropbox.com/
Choosing Condoleezza Rice for Dropbox's Board is problematic on a number of deeper levels, and invites serious concerns about Drew Houston and the senior leadership at Dropbox's commitment to freedom, openness, and ethics. When a company quite literally has access to all of your data, ethics become more than a fun thought experiment.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."