Grafter

Problem computer

Help! I messed up
I have been cleaning up a computer for a friend. it was riddled with virus's
I finally got it all cleaned up and it was fine
Finally it was set to run error checking on next boot
During the error check (scan) a power cable came loose
when i tried to reboot i get the options of safe mode etc
I tried safe mode, start windows normally and start windows using last good configuration
Whichever I choose I get the windows xp start up page but each time it cuts back to the beginning again and its like it were stuck in a loop
I tried running a repair from an xp setup disk but it only gives me the option to format the partition and start a new windows install
I tried putting the HD into a caddy using a different computer to at least recover the data but cant get the files to show
It says G: is not accessible. The request could not be performed due to an I/O device error
I'm a bit worried that I may have damaged it when the power went off during the scan
Could anyone help suggest any fixes.
If the HD is recoverable enough I'd like to make an exact copy with a cloning program I have
Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Problem computer

The only time i've seen this happen I recovered it using spinrite (http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm) but that costs a fair bit and even then isn't guaranteed to work.  Sad
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Santiago
Grafter

This happened to me last week with my son's machine.
This may not be the solution for you however I decided to do an XP repair but could not get it to run. Long story short, the problem was the XP disc was not my original but a copy. I had made the copy and not finalised the session. This can cause the machine not to read the disc properly.
Out of interest I made a new copy from the original, finalised the disc and it loaded ok.
If you do the XP repair, as you proceed there may be error messages with DL_ files etc not being recognised..
Cancel these errors and continue through till the end and XP will update itself.
The error messages occur because the files on the drive are newer than those on the disc.
I hope this helps you
artificer
Grafter

you may find something useful in this long list of rescue utilities:
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=39325.0
samuria
Grafter

When xp starts it set a dirt bit on the drive if it shuts down ok then it clears that bit. If it starts and finds the dirty bit set it then runs check disk. A lot of utils wont run if they find the dirty bit set like partition magic. You have  set in the system restart on error which is why it goes into this loop something people should un check so you dont get this problem.
What you need to do is get a command prompt either from the boot menu or by booting from the cd and using recovery consul and then try chkdsk c: /f. If you are lucky this could cure it if it doesnt you may then get the option when booting from cd to do a repair