cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probably moving house but not all at once

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Probably moving house but not all at once

It's very likely we will be moving house later this year. Circumstances mean it's highly unlikely we'll be moving fully to a new house in one go but that there will be an overlap when we'll be at one house some of the time and at the other the rest, so we'll need Broadband at 2 places at once.
What I was thinking was maybe setting up a new PlusNet account - 'no contract' option for £25 set-up fee (I have a spare router, so no problem there) and PN Value - at wherever we move to and then move our current PN account from here to the new place when it seems sensible and hopefully within the initial 3 months lower charges.
Has anyone tried this and if so has it worked? Or are there any pitfalls I've missed?
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
4 REPLIES 4
itsme
Grafter

Re: Probably moving house but not all at once

You need to read the T&C's to see if PN would claw back the introductory offer if you leave within 12 months, the contract for the line rental as some suppliers it's a 12 month contract. You will also have a cessation charge on the 2nd house.
So with the set-up fee, cessation charge and the monthly broadband and telephone rental it probably be cheaper looking at a mobile solution.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks!
I was wondering about a cessation charge for a second contract; there are so many T&Cs and not everything is in one place, obviously and I probably missed a few things.
Swings and roundabout with costs as we both have just PAYG mobiles so data charges are a bit steep even if either of us were to buy a 'bundle' a month for however many months, though the cost for mine is supposed to be going down in price sometime soon. Of course, we could sign up to the library wherever we move and use wi-fi there for emails etc when necessary, till we transfer our account.
Early days yet - we're viewing a prospective house next week that's taken our fancy but won't know till we take a good look and ask lots of questions if we'll make an offer.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the best thing is likely to be to ring the Customer Options Team (COT) during the week and see what offer they can put together for you.
My thoughts would be to do a house move with your current service, then get a new one (phone and broadband) set up where you currently live. The COT might be able to minimise the costs of this by negotiating with BT Openreach and Wholesale so that (effectively) the current service continues but under a new account, leaving mainly administration charges. There might well be precedents for this type of requirement.
So worth contacting them.
David
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks for this info, spraxyt.
I'll wait till we see the place we're interested in and then contact the COT if we decide to go ahead and if our timescale suits the vendor (I have to clear and sell my late sister's flat before we can complete). All very uncertain at the moment but I wanted to test the water so I know exactly what to do when the time comes. The overlap time will depend on how long it takes to sell our house, so I'll need to find out what the market is like here (was 'dead' last time we contemplated moving 2 years ago but has improved since then). It was all going to be more leisurely but the house we're going to see has just been reduced to a very affordable price, hence the sudden need to get a move on.