Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probable Issues with TP Powerline Plugs - connection drops

brush6136
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Probable Issues with TP Powerline Plugs - connection drops

My setup is a D-Link DSL-3580L AC1200 Gigabit router. I've had this for around 9 months. To avoid cables all over the place I installed two sets (different times) TP500 Powerline Ethernet power pass through adapters. Apart from the initial connection into the router, I have one connected to a Humax Freesat PVR & set-top receiver, one connected to a Lenovo A540 all-in-one and the last to an Epson printer scanner.
Periodically I get a drop to the router from the Lenovo. I also used to get the same issue with a Toshiba laptop. And the issue was still there with my previous ISP.
I have swapped Powerline adapters around but the issue is still there. If I connect an ethernet cable directly to the router the problem goes away on both computers. It's tempting to leave it like that but it's a bit unsightly & a trip hazard.
The direct cable also has the advantage of running at almost full 1 Gbit which does make a difference as with Powerlines that does drop to around 300Mbps.
I have considered wiring direct ethernet cables to all the kit. I live in a bungalow & distance is short (I'd put the wires into the partition walls & into the loft bit of a fiddle might even have to pay someone to do it  - 70 next month so not as agile as I used to be).
I tried switching off the sleep option on the Lenovo card today but it made no difference.
Does anyone have any suggestions about the getting the Powerline adapters to stop the dropping of the connection (there is no sign of the router dropping the connection & each time it happens I only have to pop into the next room to visually confirm this but the logs tell me there's been no router or line drop).
Getting to be a real pain.
TIA
Don't use a big word where a diminutive word will suffice.
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Probable Issues with TP Powerline Plugs - connection drops

Have you set fixed IP addresses in the Router, would that help?
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: brush6136
Does anyone have any suggestions about the getting the Powerline adapters to stop the dropping of the connection (there is no sign of the router dropping the connection & each time it happens I only have to pop into the next room to visually confirm this but the logs tell me there's been no router or line drop).
Getting to be a real pain.
TIA

i'm a guess your using the catch up tv service on your humax box and at some point after this the connection drops out
if this is correct then you will need to get the firmware update from tp-link to fix the issue for your adaptor model (they refer to it as multicast or iptv or streaming depending on the model number) once you have the firmware update saved to your pc you will need to plug each Ethernet adaptor into the pc and use the tp-link utility to install the firmware onto it, after this your network dropouts should be minimised to once or twice a month when the firmware crashes (every computer crashes if you leave it running 24/7) and then you can use the tp-link utility to "reset local device" and then "reset all devices" from your primary system.

hopefully that fixes your issue without you needing to have your property cat6e'd at vast expense Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
brush6136
Grafter

OK thanks for the replies. As I had no recollection of pairing the two "new" adapters to the first two adapters, I gave that a whirl. That was two weeks ago & no repeat (fingers etc crossed while typing this) of the previously reported issue. Plusnet gave me cause for concern when about 3 - 4 times the link dropped (no it definitely wasn't the router its logs were clear the line did drop & showed the re-synch), but that must have been to network maintenance 'cos I'm now on almost 7 days continuous connection.
Have to say I'm impressed with PN both from the latency & the improvement in speeds over my previous ISP (20%+ better & very little drop off during peak - & I got my cash back without any chasing!
Hope all this lasts - might even consider fibre at the end of this contract.
Once again thanks for all the replies.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive word will suffice.
wakey101

Hi,
It seems I'm having the same problem with my TP-LINK TL-WPA4220T KIT AV500 , specifically dropping the connection every 20 minutes or so. If you would be so kind, exactly what did you do to resolve? Did you just miss out the pairing stage?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi wakey101,
Welcome to the Forum. As it was a while, should brush6136 not reply to you on the thread, you could always drop him a PM and see if he replies.