Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Privacy

How much information does plusnet keep on the type of usage it users use ? For example much has appeared in the press about ISPs being forced to disclose those people who use file sharing for illegal downloads, with a 2mb maximum usage and a very slow download speed its not something I would be able to do anyway but I guess many people may have done/are doing.  Imagine if there were any errors in the information kept ? or am I just being paranoid ?
One final question under the freedom of information act do I have the right to see the total amount of information held about me by plusnet ? 
We are born into history and history is born into us.
26 REPLIES 26
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Privacy

Doesn't the FOI act apply only to public authorities?
Not sure if that includes PLCs - maybe someone more knowledgeable can enlighten me?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think you will find that it does apply to PN (The keeping of records), they have recently - July being given a High court order to hand over info
Mav

I was wondering whether a court can order a company to hand over info outside of the FOI act.
From the FOI website:
What you can ask for and who you can ask
The Freedom of Information Act applies to all 'public authorities' - this includes
central and local government
the health service
schools, colleges and universities
the police
lots of other non-departmental public bodies, committees and advisory bodies.

Maybe the only way to get a company to release their data is through the courts?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

pierre_pierre
Grafter

see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,67462.0.html for high court bit

In possibly related news, customers of Be Unlimited, BT, Easynet (Sky), Entanet, KCom (Karoo and Eclipse) Orange, Plusnet, Thus (Demon) and Tiscali were all fingered for filesharing in an application for personal details granted by the High Court on 30 June. IP addresses were seen participating in peer-to-peer networks sharing copyright material.
Mav

I don't think that the High Court order has anything to do with the FOI Act.
AFAIK you wouldn't need a High Court order, it just has to be asked for.
But I could be wrong...

artmo
Aspiring Champion

The freedom of Information Act does not apply to companies as disclosure could compromise commercially sensitive information.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
One final question under the freedom of information act do I have the right to see the total amount of information held about me by plusnet ? 

As stated in earlier posts not under the Freedom of imformation act but you can request to see what information PN has for you under the Data Protection act.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

In general terms if you want to see what information an organisation holds on you then it's the DPA but if you want to see what information an organisation has on file about something then it's the FIA, but as stated earlier you can't use the FIA to seek info from commercial organisations.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Very informative pdf here:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/subject_access_...
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
hulls
Grafter

As previously pointed out; if you want to know what information is held about you by any organisation, the the Data Protection Act gives you the right to see it.  The Freedom of Information Act gives you the right to ask  a public authority about just about anything you like.  There are limits, and of course they can't tell what they hold about someone else, because that would be a breach of the DPA., but I can tell you from experience that some of the stuff people ask is a real waste of time and resources.  Still the public authority is obliged to spend that time and resources, either gathering the information, or explaining why they can't, or won't, disclose it..  Here's one from this site:
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/
Dear Sir or Madam,
I make the following request for information under the Freedom of Information Act.
For sometime now I, and many others, have observed trails left by low-ish flying aircraft. These trails do not disperse rapidly as do those ice-crystal vapour trails from high-flying jets.
Will you please be so kind as to tell me:
1) The chemical composition of these slowly-dispersing trails.
2) Who authorises them.
3) What know effects they may have on the population of the United Kingdom.
Thank you in anticipation.
Yours faithfully,

How is any local authority likely to know the answer to that?
John
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I have made a number of inquiries from a various of local authorities.  The all had there own rules on how to deal with my requests but I got all the information I had requested.  On one occasion I was invited into the council chamber to view their records.  This was to save me costs as a council can levy a charge for photocopies etc if the work involved is high.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

All interesting stuff but it doesn't answer the basic question of what Plusnet have on their files regarding the data they keep on any of our downloads/uploads other than the total amount downloaded or uploaded but whats even more interesting is that Plusnet have made no comment on this post ? Perhaps we can keep this debate going and see if we can get Plusnet involved ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

give the bosses a chance, it is a Bank Holiday Weekend you know and you didnt ask the Qustion until 15:20 on a Sunday
hulls
Grafter

The answer is still, that they're obliged to give you a copy of all the records that they hold about you, but only you.  A request under the Data Protection Act is all you need.
John