cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing stalls

briston
Aspiring Pro

Printing stalls

I have Windows Vista, Epson R360 printer. All seemed to be well for a long while. Now printing stalls part way through a page, often have to reboot system in order to clear everything. If I print in high quality glossy instead of plain paper the problem seems to be worse. Disabled all startup services which seemed to help but not sure. Anyone got any ideas where to even start looking. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Printing stalls

It is possible that Windows is having problems caching the printer file in memory
Can you check how much spare space you have in the C: drive
Also how much memory do you have in the computer and what is the swap file set at
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

With specific device issues it's often worth uninstalling (completely) and reinstalling any drivers and associated software but as Oldjim says, make sure you're not out of memory or disk space (the high quality glossy prints typically produce much bigger print 'files' so maybe a clue there).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
briston
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the suggestions. Now an update.
Drivers reinstalled
The swap file recommendation is 3067 and that is what is set
46Gb free on C drive
On looking further all seems to go well but keeping an eye on the Epson print que sometimes it goes error-printing and the changes t printing and then error-printing. Sometimes it does continue printing, other times its fatal. there is becoming a suspicion that if some other function going on in the computer hogs resources the printer 'times iut' too quickly and then returns the error which can be fatal. The larger the file the more it seems to happen. It does seem that I can print in draft sometimes but not in any quality. As i write this I have set a small document to be printed 85 times , all seems to be going well. Just opened up a browser and did a search printer slowed down and then error which did recover. I closed browser and did not happen again. This was repeatable. Then doing this all over again I cold not repeat the problem. CPU useage does not go above 40% Now the print que says printing but absolutely nothing is happening. I tied a restart, nothing which is not surprising as it thought it qwas priniting anyway.
Of course, the biggest mystery is I dont know what may have caused this
Any other thoughts?
Just thought. When in this 'dead' state, pulling the USB cable out of the computer and then back in starts the operatin up and it prints- but not always
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Might sound a bit daft but have you tried a different USB port - if necessary try them all - and a different USB cable?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

And if it requires a USB2 port make sure it gets one.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
briston
Aspiring Pro

Thank you for all your thoughts. With this problem i was just pulling my hair out, and I have not got enough hair left to waste on that. After much experimentation, no luck. I did then notice for brief periods there was a report of communication error. It was then that I tried the most basic - the cable. New USB printer cable and all is solved. The old cable must have had an iintermittant fault after being used and abused for many years. Working sometimes and others a loose or resistive internal connection. MY R£^) with CISS prints for another day. Now on to the upgrade of a computer, parts ordered yesterday.
Again many thanks for all those who spent time with suggestions