cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing From DOS Program on a Mac

Assos
Grafter

Printing From DOS Program on a Mac

I have a ancient program that runs under DOS called money manager, which I can run under DosBox on my iBook G4. I'm starting to use money manager to keep track of my finances now I'm at university and need to be a bit more careful about what I spend!
Money Manager works fine, under the DosBox Emulator, however I have no way to print from it as DosBox doesn't support printing, without downloading and compiling a patch from CVS which I haven't a clue how to do.
Therefore I either need another emulator which will print directly or a way of taking a CSV (comma separated values) file and turning it into a printable format, then printing it automatically.
If anyone has any ideas on how I could get something like that to work, I would be extremely grateful.
To summarise I am running:
MoneySoft Money Manager v4,
in
DosBox 0.7
on
Apple Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger
10 REPLIES 10
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Printing From DOS Program on a Mac

Could you use OpenOffice? You could import the CSV into Base and print from there.
EDIT: URL to Mac OS X OOo
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Or you could take a screen grab of the screen in DosBox and then just print out the resulting jpg.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Assos
Grafter

Mike, I'll have a go at that tommorow.
Dave that would waste too much ink, unfortunately.
Alternatively how much would it cost to pick up and run a printer that would work on an MS-DOS based system?
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: Assos
Mike, I'll have a go at that tommorow.
Dave that would waste too much ink, unfortunately.
Alternatively how much would it cost to pick up and run a printer that would work on an MS-DOS based system?

Just a cheap dot matrix? Could probably get a usable one for £5-£15. Don't ask for setup help though, I don't do printing from DOS sorry Tongue
pberry
Grafter

If your file's in CSV that any spreadsheet program on any OS will be able to read it. You can then print from that program.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yea, I suggested OpenOffice since it's free, and as far as I know it's all been ported in full to OSX, so shouldn't have a problem printing from there (you could even go the whole hog and make a pretty report too) Cheesy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I believe it's NeoOffice on the Mac, though could be wrong
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

IIRC, NeoOffice is a suite for Mac that forked from OpenOffice.org to give Mac OSX support. There's OpenOffice.org for the Mac using X11 windowing system which can be found here.
Prior versions/different windowing systems need to use OOo Aqua I believe, which is in early alpha, so NeoOffice would be the better choice.
Be3G
Grafter

Why not just purchase a native Mac OS finance management app Assos? I use Moneydance - the GUI takes a bit of getting used to, but it's cheap and works well.
Assos
Grafter

Because a) that wouldn't be as fun, b) I'm a poor student, why spend money on something when you've already got something that will do the job and c) I like money manager
Seriously I'll have a look later once I pick my iBook up from waitrose....