Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer stopping wireless mouse from working

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Printer stopping wireless mouse from working

My parents have a wireless keyboard and mouse, and a canon MP160 printer scanner combo. I installed all this for them over at least a year ago.  Kust recently according to them, when they switch on the printer, the mouse and keyboard stop working. I have tried changing USB ports, as I suspect some form of device conflict, but unsure as to why this has suddenly happened. Not yet tried a wired keyboard and mouse, as I have to find them one in my loft, but wondered if anyone has any ideas. I am going to run a full virus scan of the system, just in case.  Any ideas
16 REPLIES 16
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Re: Printer stopping wireless mouse from working

Well as I thought nothing showed up on antivirus or spyware, but dad insisted I did this anyway.  I do suspect an IRQ conflict or something, but unsure as to where to go next.  Will try a USB wired mouse and keyboard, but I suspect uninstalling the printer, and the wireless mouse/keyboard will need doing. Would it be good practice to uninstall all the USB stuff in device manager, and let windows redetect, and if so, how would I go about doing this?Huh
samuria
Grafter

My guess would be a power issue as the printer is taking to much power.
Open device manager before turning on the printer so you can get to it  and see if its shows any conflict when the printer is turned on. If you turn the printer off does the mouse come back?
Have they moved the printer I was thinking it could interfere with the signal. If the mouse etc is still there in device manager when you turn the printer on it would suggest its not lost the mouse but the mouse isnt getting a signal.
Check event log and ensure new batteries in mouse etc
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Samuria.
They havent moved the printer at all.  I looked in the event viewer, and nothing showing up.  When the printer is turned off, the mouse does not come back.  Only thing, apart from logging off, that makes it come back is removing the USB receiver and plugging it back in.  Do you think there is a failing power supply??  The only things USB are the printer, and the wireless keyboard mouse combo.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Just another thing that has come to mind, should have mentioned earlier Roll_eyes
They have a PCI 4 port USB 2 card I installed for them ages ago, as they were using more USB devices then, as they still had a speedtouch 330, and they ran out of MOBO usb ports. I wonder if plugging the printer into this would maybe solve the ??IRQ issue, or power issues.  Only thing plugged into this card is a labtec webcam.  If it is a powersupply issue, are there any other things that could be going on. My father is an TV/electrical engineer, so should be able to run some tests on the PSU if I remove it for him.  I appreciate the assistance Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have a nasty feeling that the card may require 4 IRQ's and as such this may be part of the problem
If he doesn't need more USB ports than included on the motherboard it would be worth removing the card and seeing if it helps
samuria
Grafter

Yes I agree remove the card and the camera and see if that solves it. The power isnt the power supply but the limit on usb mine used to have a fit if I plugged anything into my keyboard it would come up with  a message usb power exceeded.
Unfortunately, the USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 protocols limit bus supplied power to 2.5 Watts (0.5A @ +5V) per port. For low power devices such as a keyboard or mouse, this is more than enough power. The USB standard also defines support for higher current devices up to 500 mA, but the total power limit is still 2.5 Watts. For higher power devices such as printers or displays, standard USB ’s power limit is often insufficient, requiring such peripherals to use an external power supply. This limitation takes away from the true “plug-n-play” idea conceived for USB peripherals. It also proliferates power bricks, wires, and higher installation costs.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Samuria - a question
i am familiar with the USB power limits but I would have assumed that a PCI USB card would bypass those limits
Rikaitch
Grafter

What about trying a powered USB Hub in line with the printer? That way you're taking the strain off the PC's power supply. I know it's only 500mA but the more you can protect the better.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks guys, will try a few things, and see what happens, may take me a couple of days, but will post back with the results, good or bad
penfold
Aspiring Pro

OK, some updates....
Tried the printer in one of the PCI USB ports, and the printer was not detected at all!!!.  Dad completely uninstalled the printer and software, and reinstalled, but where the software tells you to turn on the printer and plug in the USB cable, he did this in one of the PCI ports, but still not detected. He then plugged it into one of the front USB ports, and it worked fine ( although it told him the hardware installation was incomplete, but printer works fine). It also does not now make the wireless mouse/keyboard freeze when turned on. He switched the system off before he rang me, and therefore did not try it again in one of the rear MOBO usb ports, but will try tomorrow. Bit confused now, and there could be a number of issues here....
1.. Corrupt printer driver
2.. Faulty PCI USB card
I think I will remove the USB card anyway, and see what happens. 
Anyone any other suggestions???
samuria
Grafter

Sound as if the usb at the back are not working may want to try with a pendrive. Are these straight off the MB or do they have cables? If it has cables inside they may have come loose. If its off the MB look closely sometimes they short out to the case and can stop pc booting all together.
Does it say in the book which is USB 2 normally there are only 2 usb 2 and the rest usb 1 unless its a new board.
What make is the printer?  If it now work dont mess with what is working is always my moto
penfold
Aspiring Pro

If it now work dont mess with what is working is always my moto

Know what you mean.  It just looks messy Crazy  I think like you that the PCI card is faulty, but the webcam seems to work in it, maybe its a much smaller power req.  Anyhow, need to try back in the Rear MOBO ports, in case it was a strange printer issue.  I think I will pull the PCI USB card anyway, see how they go.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

OK, a bit more investigation done.  Nothing appears to work in the PCI USB card, exept the labtec webcam.  The mouse/keyboard receiver works fine in the Rear MOBO ports. The printer works OK and does not lock up the Mouse/keyboard when connected to the front USB ports, but still locks up the mouse/keyboard when connected to the rear ports. I am going to remove the PCI card at the weekend for them, and probably uninstall the USB stack, following the instructions here  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575
Does anyone think it will make any difference.  Will also check MOBO manufacterer for updated USB drivers.
THoughts????
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I suspect a possible USB power problem as the front ports come off a different USB header.
I assume that you only have 2 USB ports on the rear and these would come off a single header which is only rated for two USB devices and if one of them is taking more than its fair share of power then this could create the symptoms you see.
The other possibility is that you are getting cross talk between the two rear USB ports - and I have no idea if that can be fixed