Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Printer problem

Grandson, has bought himself a new Epson 515w 3 in1 printer..... managed to set it up, and printed one page using the usb cable.... fine!...
then went through the wireless (ad hoc) set up.... managed to get the wireless side working (what a performance !)....
the laptop connects to the printer, (in the same manner as for the internet) (i.e. search for the printer, then "connect")..
same print job... click on print..... nothing happens....
when checking the print job... it states "printer not ready"  OK...... as usual, you have to click OK, even if it isn`t...
When trying to print... click on "File > Print> then get a printer dialogue page which says(the document id, and other things) and.... "Where"?  and next to this is USB001.... so it looks as though the print job is directed to the USB ports, instead of the wireless connection...... However, there does not seem to be any way of changing the "where"
Can anyone point me to solve this one?
9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Printer problem

Have you run the setup on the PC to connect to the printer via wireless?
It might need to install different drivers to the usb, I know that my wireless printer does.
some print and keep cards here http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Printers-and-All-in-Ones/Epson-Stylus-SX515W/Drivers-Support which you've probably already got Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

It is such a complicated procedure to set up this printer.... There is the usual "big sheet" with pics and text. which did not help much, as it was mostly about setting up the computer for a wireless internet connection via the router...
there is a "set up" procedure, which is also very complicated, on the printer itself, utilising a small screen and menu, which I followed, (ssid for printer and wep security code etc)
then there is another "setup " procedure for the ad hoc (laptop to printer) wireless connection, which I followed.....
as mentioned, the document was printed ok by the usb cable, and the wireless light is on the dashboard of the printer, showing it is "active".... when checking "available wireless networks" on the bottom right of laptop screen, the Printer is there, with the word "connect"... click on that, and it eventually reports "connected"....
It seems the computer recognises the wireless signal from the printer, and connects to it.... but when the"print" command from File > Print..... it is directed (as previously mentioned) to the USB001 port where the cable used to be....
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Sounds like you should have two printers shown not one. One via usb and one via wireless.
Make sure that the wireless one is selected (give it a different name like BSWP (bloo*y stupid wireless printer) and print to that one, if you don't have 2 then you need to add an new printer and choose the wireless one.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... might be an idea... !  however, I can`t see why, as it is not in the "set up" instructions....
If I did "add new hardware"  (2nd printer BSWP)  I suppose I would have to make it "default" printer....
(will go and have a go ! ! !)  Undecided
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

have you checked to make sure one using the wi-fi port isn't already there?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

Have only got the one wifi printer..!..... just been and "added" it as a "copy"... but still not working...
Can`t be fussed with it anymore.....!  he can get someone else who "knows about these things"..... to sort it tomorrow..... I haven`t got any more spare time to mess about with it....
thanks guys...
(note to self..... don`t get an EpsonSX515W printer, and try to get it WIFI ! ! ! )
Bud
Grafter

It sounds like you need to change the port the printer is on.
If the printer is networkable, I always set it up via the network to begin with and make sure to give it a static IP.
I find it easier to connect the printer with a network lead than bother with wireless, as you can still print to it via a wireless device.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah, like I said, can`t be fussed with it any longer.... I use USB cable to get my laptop to talk to my printer.... 
I think he (grandson) has an "ego" problem, and just wants to brag about his new printer being wireless! ! !
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: shutter
...then there is another "setup " procedure for the ad hoc (laptop to printer) wireless connection, which I followed.....

That was probably a mistake.  Your laptop should connect wirelessly to the router.  Set up the printer to also connect wirelessly to the router.  Then you should be able to find your netwrok printer, install it and print.
An ad hoc connection will attempt to bypass the router.  In my experience ad hoc connections are things that should work in principle but don't work in practise.