cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer problem with XP & 7 machines.

oldgeezer
Grafter

Printer problem with XP & 7 machines.

I have recently upgraded to a new desktop machine running Windows 7, 64 bit. This is connected by USB cable to my Canon iP4500 printer. My netbook runs XP and I am having great difficulty trying to print from it via the network.
The problem seems to be that Windows 7 prompts me to install an additional XP driver for my printer but I cannot locate a stand alone version of the driver.  The version on the CD I have and versions available on the internet are all zipped, self installing, versions that Windows 7 will not accept. Does anyone know where I can obtain a .inf  driver for this printer ?
oldgeezer.
7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Printer problem with XP & 7 machines.

From what I remember when I had a similar situation but with an Epson printer connected to a W2K machine and wished to print from the PC running XP I just had to install the relevant XP driver.
AFAIK each PC requires it's OS's relevant drivers. Hope that helps.
The XP driver you mention should be installed on the XP machine - or have I misunderstood your problem?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

oldgeezer
Grafter

From what I can gather the W7 machine is asking me to install the additional 32 bit XP driver on the W7 computer. The XP netbook already has the iP4500 drivers installed and works if connected to the printer directly.
The W7 set-up tells me that it requires an additional 32 bit driver and provides me with a field to input it, but will only accept  the basic .inf driver which appears to be unobtainable.
oldgeezer
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A trick I've used which while not being a direct solution gets you away from having to keep swapping the cable:
Install PDFCreator on windows 7 and share it (http://www.pdfforge.org/)
On XP you can now print to that printer which will create a PDF on the Win 7 machine (you can put them in temp) which you can then print.
(I've had to do this in reverse because my new Win 7 machine doesn't have a parallel port for my old laser printer and nor is there a Win 7 driver)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrT
Grafter

I had a similar problem printing from a Windows 7 PC to a printer attached to my Windows XP PC.
My problem was solved using the method documented here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/.
It may not be necessary to install the XP driver on the Windows 7 machine so this method might solve your problem.  Smiley
You may also get some useful information at http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/4602-xp-7-printer-sharing.html in the posting from jimbo45.
pnf
Grafter

I have a Canon iP4000 and had to install the 'Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Add-On Module' before the printer would work in Windows 7.  The add on module is obtained from the Canon web site and installs without any problems.  It is an exe file, just download it, save it to a folder then double click on it to start the installation process.  For the iP4500 the driver add-on module can be found here http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010484.asp
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi
i take it you have connected to the Win7 and printer via standard printer sharing, and the Win 6 system does not have the 32bit XP drivers.... you could try this way...
Delete the printer from your XP box
Go to the Add printers dialogue box, but add a Local Printer this time, not a network printer (But ensure your Win7 system and printer is on!!), clear the Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer check box
Create a new port, a local port.
You will be asked for the Port name.  Use \\<Your Win 7 systems network name>\<ip4500 network share name>
You should then be asked to supply drivers, you can either use your disk, or download from here  http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/PIXMA_iP_series/iP4500.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-742549&page=1&type=download
This should then install your printer as a network printer.
Used this way a few times at work, as we have XP boxes with multiple users, and its a pain to share the printers to each user in turn, when you have 20odd users on each XP box.  This creates the netowork printer as soon as each user logs on.
oldgeezer
Grafter

Quote from: penfold
Hi
i take it you have connected to the Win7 and printer via standard printer sharing, and the Win 6 system does not have the 32bit XP drivers.... you could try this way...
Delete the printer from your XP box
Go to the Add printers dialogue box, but add a Local Printer this time, not a network printer (But ensure your Win7 system and printer is on!!), clear the Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer check box
Create a new port, a local port.
You will be asked for the Port name.  Use \\<Your Win 7 systems network name>\<ip4500 network share name>
You should then be asked to supply drivers, you can either use your disk, or download from here  http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/PIXMA_iP_series/iP4500.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-742549&page=1&type=download
This should then install your printer as a network printer.
Used this way a few times at work, as we have XP boxes with multiple users, and its a pain to share the printers to each user in turn, when you have 20odd users on each XP box.  This creates the netowork printer as soon as each user logs on.

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I've hit a dead end again. When I am asked to supply drivers neither the supplied disk or the download you mention is accepted as a driver. It all seems to be due to the reluctance of Canon to supply anything other than a self installing exe file.
I've given up now and being as I have to have the desktop booted up anyway I have resorted to sending stuff I want to print to a shared memory stick on the desktop PC and downloading from there.
If and when I get another make of printer or a 64 bit O S on my netbook (unlikely) the problem will go away.
Thanks anyway.
Oldgeezer