cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer losing WiFi connection

hamilton36
Grafter

Printer losing WiFi connection

I have Epson Stylus Office BX535WD on a WiFi connection which is lpd://192.168.1.140:515PASSTHRU.  This is when I am running Linux OS.  Quite often the last three digits of the protocol address change. They have been 140 for the last few days, but they changed twice on the last fortnight and every time the change happens I cannot use the printer unless I re-install it in CUPs.  I have been on Linux forum and whilst no one sure why this happens a suggestion has been made that this is caused by the connection to internet dropping.  As my router is on all the time, I suspect that the connection drops at your end.
Can you tell me is there any truth in this and is there anything that I can do to prevent it.
Many thanks,
Alex
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Printer losing WiFi connection

Hi Alex,
Can I assume you're printer was configured via DHCP? If this is the case then you can give it a fixed IP address outside of your router's DHCP range or reserve the IP address using it's MAC address in your router.
There is a thread discussing this here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139612.32.html

hamilton36
Grafter

Thank you Mook.  In the thread you provided I read that static address can accommodate only one device.  Interestingly, my printer has a scanner and the scanner always works, so I am just wondering if the scanner is treated as another device even though it is a facility within the printer.  The last line in epson2.conf file reads "net autodiscovery" and I thought that that would make the printer lock onto the new IP whenever it changes, but it does not. Still do not understand why IP address changes, but it seems I have to live with it when I am using Linux. No problems in Win XP or Win 7.  Perhaps that is the reason why Linux will never be universally accepted! Grin
Thanks again,
Alex
dick:quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: hamilton36
In the thread you provided I read that static address can accommodate only one device. 

That is only true if you put that device in to a DMZ, you do not need to do this regardless of using an IP inside or outside of the DHCP range.
The last line in epson2.conf file reads "net autodiscovery" and I thought that that would make the printer lock onto the new IP whenever it changes, but it does not.

That would explain why your scanner always works.
Still do not understand why IP address changes, but it seems I have to live with it when I am using Linux. No problems in Win XP or Win 7.  Perhaps that is the reason why Linux will never be universally accepted! Grin

I don't think you have to live with it, get your printer's MAC address and go into your router and reserve an IP for it. I think you'll find that this works for you.
I'll be honest I was a static IP die hard on my home / office network, but after the discussion in the cited thread, I changed things over to DHCP, OK I have a lot of reservations in my router but my Windows 8.1 machine is now much more responsive when I view the network. Before I changed this there was a long delay in devices appearing, now it instant. So I'm a convert.