cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer keeps going offline

ctb135

Printer keeps going offline

Hi
Please can anyone help me, i have joined plusnet and have a wireless HP printer, it appears to be set up correctly and will print, I then try and print later on or another day and it says it is offline, i click it back online and it looks like it has been sent to print but just sits there.
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Printer keeps going offline

Does it have a power saving mode? - You might need to refer back to the manual if it has because you might need to disable it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ctb135

Hi
No I have looked in the manual and nothing stated.
Its weird as it will print when first set up but if you turn off the computer and printer and then turn back on it says it is offline. Printed Wireless Network Test Report and it says no problems found!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Might be an idea to tell us what model of printer it is and anything its connected to in case anyone else here has the same problem.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
tomandjanet

Hi all
I've been with Plusnet for more years than I can remember, but this is the first time I've used the forum.  As I haven't been able to find a solution to my problem elsewhere, I hope it's OK to resurrect this thread.
I am having the same problem.  I have recently installed a wireless printer, which was almost trouble-free.  At the time I did a test print and that was fine.  However, each time I need to print something, I find that the printer is reported as being 'offline' and even when I untick the 'Use printer offline' property it will not print. 
The printer diagnostics take me in every decreasing circles, but achieve nothing. The printer instructions suggest re-starting the router, printer and computer (in that order) and this works, but it's very inconvenient to go through this every time I want to print a one-page letter.  What's more, I understand that re-starting the router leads to a reduction in line-speed and that's low enough as it is!
If anyone else has had this problem (and solved it) or has any suggestions I'd be most grateful.
Computer : Desktop (home build)
OS      : Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
Printer  : HP D5560
Router  : TG 585 v8 - 8.2.7.7
Thank you for your help.

Tom
Mav
Fixes: 514

I had similar problem with my HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m.
It seemed to be solved when I manually set it's IP address. Could have been co-incidence but it hasn't happened since.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I can't imagine why anyone would ever need a printer without wires.
At least one PC and your router would be switched on, allowing a wired connection.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav

Convenience?
I have one wired PC but the HP will remain wireless. I do still have a USB printer but that is rarely used these days.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have found this site, and it`s forum to be very useful,
"Fix your own Printer. dot com "...
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/
tomandjanet

Hello again
Thank you for the replies.
Mav:  Thank you for the tip.  Unfortunately I'd already set a fixed IP address and it hadn't worked.  I agree about the convenience - at least that was my reason for buying wireless.  However, I haven't managed to get one computer connected successfully yet, let alone the three I was hoping for.
Shutter:  I ploughed through several pages on the forum of the site you recommended but was unable to find anything that covered this particular problem.  Thanks for taking the trouble, though. PS I like your photos.
Tom
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI tomandjanet,
I'm surprised that Mav, Shutter and A fox is evil never noticed the 8.2.7.7 firmware there - better luck next time guys Wink If we upgrade that to the most recent firmware (8.2.7.8 ) that should do the trick. Either I can do that for you from this end or you can do it yourself by visiting our support library.
@ctb135 I also suspect this is the same for you too, as I've just checked your router's firmware version and it's also 8.2.7.7
Jojo Smiley
Mav

Embarrassed
I've been using the NetGear DG834G for long time but around the time I got the HP printer I was having speed issues and swapped routers between the Netgear and the Thompson V7 & V8.
It could be that my issue with the printer coincided with the use of one of the Thompson routers. I do remember there came a point where I decided to sethe IP manually and all worked properly ever since Undecided
I hope you're suggestion works for tomandjanet Smiley

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Me too - I have a Netgear DG834G, because the Thomson routers are a bit rubbish.  Smiley
Well the V7 was...
I believe Plusnet have "customised" the firmware too.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@ Joanne.... Never crossed my mind  Roll_eyes
@  tomandjanet.....  thanks....  Glad you enjoyed them....  Wink
tomandjanet

Hi all
Joanne:  Thank you for the tip.  I had realised that there had been a firmware update but, having read some of the posts regarding the reduction in upload speed, I was relunctant to follwow that route.  However, if you think that it could improve matters, I'll give it a go.
Fingers crossed!
Thanks to everyone else for your feed-back - I'll keep you posted.
Incidentally, the Thomson replaced a Netgear DG834G which was working fine with my printer.  Unfortunately I've put it away somewhere safe and can't find it, otherwise I might dig it out again.

Tom