Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer connection

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Printer connection

I Have a canon MP 610 printer (Non WiFi) connected to my desktop computer and didn't realize that it was possible to enable it for WiFi by using a bluetooth connection, in my case a BU-20 from Amazon. Not cheap but much cheaper than purchasing a second decent printer.
I Guess most people on the forum will be aware of this anyway but not having used or even checked out information on the subject of bluetooth I was unaware of this.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
5 REPLIES 5
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Printer connection

I used to use something like that, but the bluetooth system is very slow for printing pics so moved to a network server for it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Linksys "WPS54GU2" print servers, that can take either 10/100 ethernet or wireless-G on the network side, and can drive a USB-2.0 printer on one port, and a full LPT parallel port printer on the other.
I works great on Windows, Linux, my Palm PDA, and Nokia non-smart phone.
This one on eBay looks the right thing for £0.99+£3.50p&p. It would be worth checking with the seller to ensure it is a "WPS54GU2" before bidding though !
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I have one (somewhere) that converted a usb to network. Using a M$ app it re-appeared as a usb printer allowing you to control it,see print levels etc. Pretty neat but not supported fully in Linux though  Tongue
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Hairy
I used to use something like that, but the bluetooth system is very slow for printing pics so moved to a network server for it.
Fortunately I will not need it for pictures just B&W Documents.
I will use the wired connection for prints.
Be a bonus if I can get it running in Linux, at least it will give me something to play around with. If I fail it's not a problem as the dual boot gives me the option of printing via windows.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Should be fine on a Linux system as well.
See here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothPrinterSetup)