cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Sharing with an XP Desktop and Windows 7 Laptop

MadMotorist

Printer Sharing with an XP Desktop and Windows 7 Laptop

I have an XP desktop which has a USB printer connected. I used to have an XP laptop which I could share the printer with. Now that I have a new Windows 7 laptop I cannot use the printer from the laptop. Any ideas/suggestions?
Brian
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Printer Sharing with an XP Desktop and Windows 7 Laptop

If you click on Devices and Printers from the start menu do you see the printer
If you look on Network in Windows Explorer (the Windows 7 equivalent) do you see the other computer
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The default network name has changed.  For XP it was MSHOME but from Vista onwards it got changed to WORKGROUP.  To network the two computers (and thereby share the printer) you need to use the same name on both.  The easiest thing to do would be to change the Network name from MSHOME to WORKGROUP on the XP computer.  Follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295017 .  
MrT
Grafter

Having got the 2 computers in the same Workgroup, you can do the following:
Printer Sharing between Windows XP and Windows 7 Computers.
These instructions are for sharing the Printer attached to the Windows XP Computer (PC01) with the Windows 7 Computer (PC02). They will work in reverse as well.
Assuming the Printer is already installed on the Windows XP Computer, do the following:
1. Install Printer on Windows 7 Computer.
2. Ensure Printer (HPPhotos) on XP Computer is shared.
3. On the Network Browsing on Windows 7 Computer ensure you can "See" the Printer share.
Now on the Windows 7 Computer do the following:
4. Control Panel….>Devices and Printers>Add a Printer.
5. Add a local printer.
6. Create a new port. Select local port.
7. Enter a port name \\PC01\HPPhotos
8. Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP Computer.
For a "Network stand alone printer" at 6. chose TCP/IP port and at 7. enter the IP address.
It worked for me. Good luck.  Smiley