Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Sharing Vista and XP

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Printer Sharing Vista and XP

I have rebuilt a system for a freind of mine, as his XP desktop was riddled with spyware and other nasties. He had originally, this system, and his miltifunction HP printer which I set up to be shared with his vista laptop. This caused no isses, and it shared just fine. After this rebuild, I set up his networking manually (XP Home), shared the shared docs folder, and set passwords, same as the vista laptop, set same workgroup etc etc.  File sharing works absolutely fine, but I cannot get the vista system to connect to the shared printer, no matter what I do. XP is at SP3, Vista at SP1.  I try to shre the printer, the vista laptop can see the printer, but after it chugs alot, all I get is an 0x000003eb error.  Cannot get past this at all.  Cannot understand this as it works Ok before. Only things changed is the name of his XP system, but before I tried connecting to the printer, I deleted the original shared printer.I have tried everything I can think of, changing the name of the XP box, changing the workgroup name of both systems etc etc.  File sharing always works OK, and the vista system sees the XP system, and vice versa.
Can anyone help, I am tearing my hair out now (whats left of it anyway Cheesy  )
5 REPLIES 5
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Printer Sharing Vista and XP

Have you tried installing the printer locally (connected to the Vista system) to ensure the drivers are installed OK?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

No havnt tried that.  Are you suggesting install as a local printer etc, then disconnect, and retry install as a network printer?  Will give it a go.  Was thinking of trying to completely uninstall all traces of the printer from the system, in case the old deleted printer was causing an issue, if some traces of it left, but unsure as how to do this as not really well up on Vista.  Will try your suggestion, but do you know how to clean up a vista system, does CC cleaner work on vista?
Cheers
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Yeah CCleaner works all the way up to Windows 7 Smiley
Often with network printing the drivers need to be installed on all PC's to get the sharing to work properly.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks chaps.  What has confused me most is that when I set it up originally, it worked perfectly first time.  Will try your suggestions, and see what happens.
samuria
Grafter

Before you try and install it connect to the pc via share or map a drive first this normally works as it then see your credentials. Mapping a drive works best