Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Recommendations

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Printer Recommendations

My Canon IP4500 has died on me after nearly 5 years of service so I need a replacement.
I would be looking for a colour ink unit with WiFi capability so any recommendations please?

Curiously I have just purchased and installed Photoshop Elements 11 and tried to print a picture.
Photoshop seemed to be attempting to print from a non existent paper location on the printer which gave up and died. Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Printer Recommendations

You will be hard pushed to find one as good for the price with cheap - non proprietary ink cartridges - which is why I just paid out £70 approx for a replacement head for mine
Strat
Community Veteran

If I knew what was wrong with it I might attempt a repair but I read about a main board failure making it an uneconomical repair.
It's completely dead with no lights on but power available at the mains.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
picbits
Rising Star

Pop the lid off and check for blown fuses on the SMPS - there won't be a lot more you can do without some kind of service manual.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have been a HP nut for years.... Mainly because the print head included the jet system... however.... they have become very expensive to replace, and the quantity of ink in them is pathetic.... so... much to my surprise, I opted for EPSON STYLUS SX445W.... uses seperated print colour cartridges, and is wireless.... printer scanner... sits on the desktop, which I`m getting used to !... took a while to get the setup working, but that was probably just me.... once the initial setup was completed, it works.... and that`s just what it should do... had it now for about 6 months, and very  pleased with it.... I think it cost about £70.00 from PCworld....
There may be better ones on the market since then, but you will have to check that out....  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

looking at the latest offerings and reviews - if I was buying a new one I would probably go for a colour laser but I am not sure about the photo quality
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: picbits
Pop the lid off and check for blown fuses on the SMPS

3 fuses on-board and all ok Sad but it cost me £14 (and a KFC lunch) for a tool to remove the security screw Angry
Strat
Community Veteran

I've placed an order with my suppliers for this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009L2QY12/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I didn't really need a scanner but it's bolted on the top so why not and it comes in handy for scanning documents before posting.
I looked at reviews of various printers including Canon but most were greedy and expensive on ink.
Most of my printing is text and light colour documents so I'll see how this one goes.
My old Canon cost me £60.85 5 years ago so it doesn't owe me much.
Thanks for everyone's contributions Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Crikey me!... that is twice as tall as mine... and it has a scanner.... ( sloping control panel, actually looks the same.... it goes down flush, when not in use.. or use it in the "flush fit " position. )
You should go to Tesco and buy yourself a new set of colour and black cartridges.... excellent valu for money... ( Tesco brand - not Epson! ! !).. the ones with it will only have a minimal amount of ink in them...
Strat
Community Veteran

It is a bit tall isn't it.
I bought it as the bundle with 2 sets of compatible cartridges....fingers crossed.
shutter
Community Veteran

Doing a "mouse over" on the pic, looks like it may be "sitting" on the bottom tray, which you may be able to "dispose of"... ( ebay? ) to reduce the height
Strat
Community Veteran

Yes it's more of a small business machine.
From past experience of business class workgroup printers the 'D' in the name stood for an extra paper drawer and there was an option to purchase the printer without it but I can't see such an option in this case.
It will get loaded with paper, maybe something like photo paper and therefore get used.
PS. It's on it's way via Parcelforce with a tracking number. Grin
My experience of Parcelforce tracking is that it's 24 hours behind the parcel so I'll know it's been delivered hours before the tracking system will Roll_eyes
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: shutter
I opted for EPSON STYLUS SX445W.... uses seperated print colour cartridges

Urgh, I was just about to recommend no-one bother with epson.. especially the stylus's with seperate cartridges. I had one years ago and it was awful. Just turning it on would see it use 1/3rd of each cartridge to do its compulsory head cleaning that it felt it had to do every time it was powered up. The cartridges ain't cheap either and I always found that they'd still run out at the same rate so the seperate thing actually cost me more.
What I can't fault is lexmark. I have a P4350 and although I've not used it for ages except as a scanner, I never had any real problems with it and I bought it second hand. The only reason I've not used it as a printer is because the cartridges eventually ran out (after over a year!) and at the time I didn't have the money to replace them. Someone donated me a colour laser printer that was dead so I fixed that and am still using that some 3 - 4 years later (on the same toners too!). Going back to lexmark though, their cartridges seem to live forever in my book even if they are supposedly a lower quality brand. I knew someone else with a lexmark years ago too and that was just the same.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
PS. It's on it's way via Parcelforce with a tracking number. Grin
My experience of Parcelforce tracking is that it's 24 hours behind the parcel so I'll know it's been delivered hours before the tracking system will Roll_eyes

Update: The printer is now sitting in it's box in the hallway....Parcelforce tracking says.....
Tracking Information:
We're sorry. We are unable to retrieve tracking information for this shipment at this time.
robski1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Smiley I have had the opposite to sprite. I had nothing but problems with my Lexmark printer but now my daughter and I both have Epson Stylus Office BX525WD printer/scanners. They are excellent at all the tasks they perform and the WiFi is very easy to set up. I buy the Epson XL cartridges from InkRaiders. Good price and last for ages.