cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price friend Plug-in

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Price friend Plug-in

I've just come across a neat little plug-in for Firefox called PriceFriend.
It works when you go to a site to search for a DVD, CD etc.  If for example you go to Amazon and look at details of a DVD by clicking on PriceFriend it brings up a panel of other retailers selling the DVD and their prices.
Doesn't work in IE yet.
It can be downloaded from:  http://www.pricefriend.co.uk/
11 REPLIES 11
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Price friend Plug-in

I downloaded this but when I looked for inkjet cartridges, it did not do anything.... there is a icon in the left side of the upper toolbar, and it is also mentioned in Tools.... (with a tick) Is there something else?  Undecided
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yes, you have to select a specific item from a retailer then you will get the compassions.  I had trouble at the beginning so contacted them.  The email they sent explained all to me.  This is what I received, hope it helps. If you follow the amazon link in the email it all becomes clear.

Arthur,

Ah, PriceFriend is a price comparison plug-in.
It works by getting prices for books, CD’s, DVD’s, games and electrical goods from lots of different retailers and displaying them in a panel.

For example, if you jump onto http://wwww.amazon.co.uk and navigate to a DVD or book page then you should see a small panel in the top left of the screen labelled “pricefriend” There is a small button in the panel labelled “Show Prices” – when you click this button price friend will quickly grab prices from dozens of other retailers and list them for you to select. This means that if, say, WH Smiths or HMV have the same item for sale for less then you can just as easily buy from them and save the difference.

(try http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00147AJQ8/ref=s9pop_c2_img3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=cente...

Remember the Price Friend panel will only display in the top left corner of the screen when it is turned on AND when you are on a page that it recognises.
Make sure the component is turned on by clicking the !Tools” menu and ensuring that “Price Friend” is checked.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Jonathan
shutter
Community Veteran

I have just done that !.... no joy...... I tried it with www.ink2u.co.uk ; and with the amazon link you put in for a dvd..... both same.... nothing.... the icon is there with a £?PriceFriend button (and is ticked in the Tools menu)....
Perhaps I will have to do another download later today. as going out (again  Undecided )
Edit.....

Remember the Price Friend panel will only display in the top left corner of the screen when it is turned on AND when you are on a page that it recognises.

my icon is there all the time,  even when I`m on the forum ! ! !
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just try clicking on the PriceFriend button.  You should see a small bar appear that allows you to click on 'show prices' and this brings up the prices of the DVD in amazon's example.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hello, Artmo,  Did that,  all it does is switch it off or on, same as the tick in the tools box....
Does it have an "uninstall" ?
or how can I get rid of it to put a "new" version on?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

To uninstall click on 'tools' in the Firefox menu bar and then on  'add-ons'  Locate PriceFriend and right click it and select 'uninstall'.
samuria
Grafter

Firefox 3 is out any day will it work with that?
Dont forget to help set a world record with firefox they are trying to get the most download on one day in history see
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/?from=sfx&uid=0&aid=2368305
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Don't know if it will work with Firefox 3.  I will download 3 and let you know.
When is download day?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Samuria,
Do you know what improvements we can expect in Firefox 3?
samuria
Grafter

Firefox 3 RC1 is out now and I have been testing it (anyone can download it) and its faster and nice new things the only problem is a lot of add ins havent caught up and wont work yet but I am sure they soon will
Full details
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0rc1/releasenotes/#whatsnew
What's New in Firefox 3
Firefox 3 is based on the Gecko 1.9 Web rendering platform, which has been under development for the past 33 months. Building on the previous release, Gecko 1.9 has more than 14,000 updates including some major re-architecting to provide improved performance, stability, rendering correctness, and code simplification and sustainability. Firefox 3 has been built on top of this new platform resulting in a more secure, easier to use, more personal product with a lot more under the hood to offer website and Firefox add-on developers.
More Secure
        * One-click site info: Click the site favicon in the location bar to see who owns the site and to check if your connection is protected from eavesdropping. Identity verification is prominently displayed and easier to understand. When a site uses Extended Validation (EV) SSL certificates, the site favicon button will turn green and show the name of the company you're connected to. (Try it here!)
        * Malware Protection: malware protection warns users when they arrive at sites which are known to install viruses, spyware, trojans or other malware. (Try it here!)
        * New Web Forgery Protection page: the content of pages suspected as web forgeries is no longer shown. (Try it here!)
        * New SSL error pages: clearer and stricter error pages are used when Firefox encounters an invalid SSL certificate. (Try it here!)
        * Add-ons and Plugin version check: Firefox now automatically checks add-on and plugin versions and will disable older, insecure versions.
        * Secure add-on updates: to improve add-on update security, add-ons that provide updates in an insecure manner will be disabled.
        * Anti-virus integration: Firefox will inform anti-virus software when downloading executables.
        * Vista Parental Controls: Firefox now respects the Vista system-wide parental control setting for disabling file downloads.
        * Effective top-level domain (eTLD) service better restricts cookies and other restricted content to a single domain.
        * Better protection against cross-site JSON data leaks.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Samuria,  Thanks for a very comprehensive reply.  I am looking forward to getting the new version when it is released.  In your reply were the (Try it Here!) links as they don't seem to work?  Thanks again.