cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Praise for Plusnet

johpal
Grafter

Praise for Plusnet

Of course, most people reading this are already Plusnet subscribers, but I have only been signed up 48 hours and I want to say "Thank you" to all who made my transition from BT so quick and smooth. I've achieved more in those hours than 3 years with BT!
My BT HomeHub (am I allowed to mention that, or is it rude?) NEVER sustained 2 Mb throughput longer then 24 hours and frequently dropped to under 400 Kbs, requiring daily reboots.
A minor downside: Plusnet's VoIP phone offering lags some way behind in terms of setup, user friendliness and convenience ... Wink
7 REPLIES 7
itsme
Grafter

Re: Praise for Plusnet

Are you using PN VOIP or have you registered and using the PN VOIP beta trial which is supplied by Gradwell? The latter is very good IMO.
itsme
Grafter

You may be confusing the OP. Unless things have changed to be on the Gradwell VoIP you need to request this by using the VoIP Beta trial
johpal
Grafter

Thanks. I have taken a look at the Gradwell product, but I've decided to steer clear until the dreadful words 'beta' and 'trial' disappear! It's a bit like buying software, labelled 'version 1.0' - I want to spare myself more aggrevation.
The device BT supplied, meant I could just plug in my DECT phone, set a few parameters and it was like an ordinary phone (except the problems with the router rendered it practically useless). I would need to cast around for a VoIP ATA device to connect the same handset to the (PN supplied) router. My daughter will just have to put up with another window open on her laptop to make her calls. The principal drawback at present is, her friends can't reach her by dialling an 01 number, unless they tie up my ordinary line, that defeats the object of the exercise.  Wink
itsme
Grafter

Believe that you should be able to use the HUB with PN and Gradwell systems. Can you supply a screen shot of the settings that you have access to for VOIP on the hub.
Believe the beta trial was more for the interaction between PN and Gradwell than for the quality and realiability of the Gradwell system. All users have found that the Gradwell VoIP was loads better than PN. 
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: johpal
The principal drawback at present is, her friends can't reach her by dialling an 01 number, unless they tie up my ordinary line, that defeats the object of the exercise.  Wink

This is what the trial will give you an 01/02 number. Don't worry about the word trial though, its a good working version which probably won't change when they promote it to live
Jeff
johpal
Grafter

Thanks itsme. However, the BT Hub is, and remains, in the bin. For 3 years, BT couldn't supply me with one that would work reliably.
I know PN is owned by BT, but the technical support and supplied equipment is an experience simply light years apart. I don't intend going back anytime soon!
johpal
Grafter

A postscript. After reading the comments above, I swallowed my prejudices against the terms "beta" and "trial" and applied for the new VoIP service. All sorted and no regrets: my daughter has her '01' number and peace reigns. I'm only sorry I shan't be in Sheffield for the Open Day, I'm off to the city of my birth, Glasgow, for the weekend. Maybe see you next year?  Smiley