Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline ethernet adapters

techguy
Grafter

Powerline ethernet adapters

Hi
Has anyone used these and are they any good?
I ask as I'm thinking of getting some so that I can build a shuttle media centre connected to my TV so that I don;t have to sit at my PC all the time.
11 REPLIES 11
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Powerline ethernet adapters

techguy
Grafter

Thanks pierre but do you have any experience of these adapters?
My intent is to build a small form factor PC with blu ray drive etc and use the house wiring as a LAN wiring as opposed to running Cat 6 as to give myself net access (yes am an occaional youtube fan) I'd need a link back to the router and I don't trust wireless.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no, the link I gave is a 500G media player with Scart and remote, smallish and easily portable, the only trouble is loading it, doesnt have a optical drive, simple connect to existing pc to load the 500G
    *  High-speed external hard disk with stand-alone media player
    * Load your videos, pictures and music
    * Download video, audio and images via your PC and immediately play them back through your TV
    * Can be used as a standard external hard drive
    * 3.5-inch high speed SATA hard disk drive installed
    * Unique DVD folder playback feature: directly play the ripped DVD
    * Easy to use on-screen file navigation, supporting multi-language
    * Navigate using the included remote control
    * Powerful DivX subtitle display feature; supports most of the subtitle file formats
    * USB 2.0 interface
    * Video media formats: DVD-Video, DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x, Xvid, SVCD, VCD 1.1/2.0, MPEG-1, MPEG-2
    * File extension formats: DAT, MPEG, VOB, AVI, DivX, XVID, JPEG, MP3, M2P, WAV
    * Audio media formats: MP3, WAV files
    * Image media formats: JPEG
    * Content resolution: DivX file up to 720 X 576 resolution/ JPEG file Up to 5120 X 3840 pixel
    * Video upscaling to 720P for better picture quality
    * Component video output: NTSC-480i / 480p / PAL-576i / 576p / 720p
    * Supports 16:9 and 4:3 TV screen
    * Media outputs: composite, component, SCART and digital audio outputs
    * Media format support: FAT32 / NTFS
    * Supports Windows 98SE/ME/2000XP/2000 and Vista
    * Dimensions: 196(l) x 58(w) x 126(h) mm
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

My brother has a pair which allows him to have his router at the Master Socket (at the front of the house) and his PC at the back. Windows configuration software was a doddle and we keyed the pair up and just plugged them in and off he went. Seem to be very reliable and stable. Dont seem to cause interference but have no idea how well they'd cope under a really heavy load.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I've used the Solwise PL85 and the Netgear equivalent to solve an Ethernet distribution problem in an old house with thick stone walls.  Works extremely  well Wink   Personal choice:  I prefer the Solwise gear it does seem to be easier to set up and have better throughput.
I'd guess for your project you may need to go for the newer PL-200 AV range though?
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

techguy
Grafter

Cheers for the replies, I'll have a look at the kit suggested.

As I say my intent is to have a PC away from the desk so that I can watch blu ray disks and do stuff on the net if I want without having to come to my desk, e.g. if I see a trailer for a film and decide I want to add it to my DVD rental reserve list I can flip over to the PC video output, login to the DVD service rental site and add it.
And of course keep an eye on whats going on here and read tech news and watch videos about new technology (PCs, routers, etc) which is what I use my connection for.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Just get a PS3 then  Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Kevster
Dabbler

Anyone any ideas on a Media Extender that will couple to a TV either AV or HDMI and will pull data MP3 AVI etc from a NAS drive directly either by IP or mapped. Ideally something which would look correct in a front room next to the Sky Box, other than PS3 XBOX, i.e. dedicated ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=227469&C=Newsletter&U=09P01-1_A96JC&T=11946872
The one I got recently has a USB connection to fill it from the PC, then has scart, analogue AV, Composite Video out, remote control, on screen display, for Picture, MP3, Wav and several different Video, including DVD Rip
the device is 196 long, 61 wide, 122 h  (mm) and weighs 900 g
the one I got was this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221816&DOY=27m12  It was reduced to £99 before Xmas
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

How do these work across RCD's and transformers?
I remember seeing the signal over mains technology years ago in maplins before it became mainstream IT networking technology. I always wondered how you jump a signal over a transformer back then...
I'm just curious really as the thought of running an isolated power supply and network connection to the shed could be useful.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
How do these work across RCD's and transformers?

My first reaction would be that they won't work via an isolating transformer - which designed to only pass 50Hz mains - not sure how would let a meaningful amount of signal through at up to 1 MHz.
maybe an email to Maplin would clarify
technical@maplin.co.uk