Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline Wired and WiFi improvement

FIXED
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Powerline Wired and WiFi improvement

Over the last few months, I've been expanding the Powerline network and wiring in computers, that were using WiFi for MS Teams, Skype and Google Meet. This has all worked well and has greatly improved PC and meeting performance Thumbs_Up

Oddly, it has also improved the WiFi on other devices Smiley Is this normal and expected, by doing this process? Cool_smiley

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Powerline Wired and WiFi improvement

@Leapy 

If all devices are using the same WiFi band and that's got limited bandwidth then most certainly. You can only use that bandwidth once regardless of how many devices are using it so they have to share.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 I'm using both 5ghz and 2.4ghz and both have improved on the BT Hub6 🙂

My thought was being hardwired, may save computer effort and time in searching and validating  for WiFi signal as those devices are just on tap:-), so the quality of the WiFi signal from the hub, has less competition and less takers? Roll_eyes

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fix

@Leapy 

Once you boot a device, be it wired or wireless, it will establish a connection and lock onto that until it's switched off. So that's the searching and validating done.

If you're connecting to an Ethernet port the router is capable of handling up to 1000Mbps, although you are very unlikely to get anywhere near this with powerline units in circuit. Think of it as a pipe with all these bits flowing through like water through a pipe. 

With wireless the data rate will be much slower or in other words the bits are flowing through our alternative  imaginary wireless pipe at a much slower rate. How fast will depend on the band, the distance and the capability of connected devices.

Now if this wireless 'pipe' has several devices connected to it then regardless of how fast each device is the wireless bits all have to flow down this narrow restricted pipe, hence there will be a slow down in wireless performance of connected devices.

So taking some devices off wireless and transferring them to a faster Ethernet channel helps all devices.

Does this make sense?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1  Thank you 🙂 That explains and clarifies the whole process in clear plain English Thumbs_Up I'm now much wiser Cool_smiley