cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline Adapters

DPR

Powerline Adapters

Hi there. I bought 2x BT Flex 500 adapters some 4.5 years ago through PlusNet. We've recently had TV reception problems, culminating in the adapters 'dying' - all three lights were out. I have replaced them with 2x BT Flex 600 adapters, again through PlusNet. Everything is now (touchwood) fine.

My query is, is it common for adapters to just pack up? I was a bit surprised by this, particularly after only 4.5 years. Anyone out there with similar problems?

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Powerline Adapters

@DPR  Welcome to the forum.

These things sit on the mains so it's quite possible that there has been some sort of mains surge either recently or in the past that's weakened internal components, resulting in their early demise..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DPR

Thanks @Baldrick1 

Your comment suggests adapters should ordinarily be expected to last longer than 4.5 years, and that I may have just been 'unlucky'. 

I don't know if leaving the YouView box (with which the adapters communicate) on or turning it off may have an effect. I come from a generation which switched things off at night or when not in use (not the router, which is permanently on, nor the adapters, which I always left plugged in and on). My son has now told me to leave the YouView box on standby. I can understand that regularly breaking the communication link between the two was probably not a good thing, so the YouView box is now left on standby when not in use. But I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the early demise of the adapters.

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Anything permanently connected to the mains will eventually expire - a voltage surge, weak design will end its life.
Some things will last a very long time others less.
I had 3 tp-link powerline adapters, 2 are still working but the third just stopped working. It was replaced and now system is working fine. The PLA lasted 7 years.
One PLA is connected to the router, 2nd is the Freeview box, third takes the internet upstairs. It was the router one that died.
🙂