cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power line adapter with wifi

BKB
Hooked

Power line adapter with wifi

Does anyone have any experience in using this power line adapter with wifi? I have used a power line adapter before with no problems, but wandered how the wifi works on this item.

I saw this "TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT Single-Band N300 Powerline Kit 2 Pieces" and thought of you! https://www.screwfix.com/p/tp-link-tl-wpa4220kit-single-band-n300-powerline-kit-2-pieces/348FR?tc=EB...
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Power line adapter with wifi

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech help.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

How well they work mostly depends on your house wiring, and are more likely to work when transmitting the signal between sockets on the same floor, which should be on the same electrical circuit.

I used them to transmit the signal from upstairs to downstairs, and got intermittent short dropouts, whereas a friend has used them in a similar way in her house with no problems whatsoever (wired and Wi-fi.)

Unless you have detailed knowledge of how your house is wired I'd therefore suggest borrowing a set of homeplugs first if possible to find out whether you are likely to be successful.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

@BKB 

Buy them from Amazon, try them out and if you have any problems or they do not work return them within the 30 day period.

Could be screw fix have the same policy but never had any issues with Amazon returning my money within the period allowed.

A look in you fuse box should give you some idea of the circuits in your house.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @BKB 

Take a look at this tp-link tl-wpa4220-kit Everything you need to know about them. 

I've been using a similar TP-Link devices (TL-WPA281) for years with no issues.

Hope this helps

Dan.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

They are very much a matter of you get what you pay for, how you install them and equally important how you configure the WiFi SSIDs.

I've used Devolos for years and have found their performance excellent in comparison to Netgear and TP Link.

DO NOT plug them into extension cables.

Set WiFi SSIDs to be the same as on the router, but fix all SSID channels to (on 2.4GHz) to one of 1, 6 or 11 and ideally make them different.  Thereby wifi devices will 'roam' between the SSID stations picking up the better signal, without co-channel interference.

Powerline adapters are a much better option that WiFi extenders.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.