Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power indicator in Vista

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Power indicator in Vista

Well, actually, the lack of the power indicator....
My wife`s laptop is running on Vista, and until recently (yesterday) there used to be a battery (I think) or a power plug in the tray at the bottom right corner, that you could click on to see how much battery was left, or whether it was charging.....
Not sure what she has done, but it is now missing....
Anyone know how to restore it, Please? 
7 REPLIES 7
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: Power indicator in Vista

Just had an automatic update (actually 3) and the machine needed re-booting to complete..... half an hour later, and the battery icon has appeared again.....  Wonder if it is a "power saving device" not to display the power icon  ? ? ? ?
seems a bit silly, not to be able to access the power feature when on battery power !
So, if anyone knows how to bring it back when it disappears,  (again) I would appreciate an answer. Thanks guys.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have you looked in Display Properties/Screen Saver/Power/Advanced to see if the 'Always Show Icon on the Task bar' is ticked. (XP Equivalent)
You're lucky shutter. I have an HP laptop that if you run it on battery until about 60% remaining, it continues on battery even when plugged into the mains.
The only way to get it charged is to shut it down and charge it fully Angry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

must be going daft in my old age, but I cannot see Display Properties on the Control Panel for Vista.  Cry Cry
Unless of course it is somewhere else now !  Embarrassed Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It's now called Personalize  Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks jim,  got as far as "screensaver". the it shows Power Management, then change power settings, but when going to that area, there is nothing about
"Power/Advanced to see if the 'Always Show Icon on the Task bar' is ticked."
(which Strat says is XP .... !)  Crazy Crazy Crazy Cry Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Silly suggestion - right click on the right hand are where it used to be then select properties - is hide inactive icons unticked and is the power icon ticked
shutter
Community Veteran

Eureka !  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Not so silly !... when you right click on the icon area there pops up a menu and one of them is "Customise notification icons"... click on that, and it lists them with a column marked "Behavior"
Unfortunately, the power icon (battery/charging lead) is not mentioned. !  Embarrassed Cry
However.... further investigation  (as I type this !) reveals that if you click on the icon area, then "properties" a new menu come up called "Taskbar and start menu properties," with four tabs, one of which is Notification area.... here you can select which system icon to always show, and power is in there... (with a tick) as it is already showing....
Thanks for your help guys....
Now I know where to look next time it disappears. !