Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power connections

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Power connections

When not in use most people will just switch off the computer but what about the numerous other things such as printers, scanner, monitor etc that can be powered off. Is it still safe to leave these things plugged in to a live connection ?
A Few of these items have their own power supply so even when switched off the small transformer is still getting power.
I Know it's a simple matter of plugging everything into an extension lead and just unplugging that, just interested in what others do.
NB. Note to moderators, not sure if this is hardware or chit chat ? Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
16 REPLIES 16
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Power connections

Yes it's generally safe to leave them plugged in, occasionally things do go up in smoke but that is very very rare.
From a financial view, unplug them. In general for every 1 watt of wasted energy you pay £1 per year. This is not accounting for the fact that it keeps your house warm and you would use less gas for your heating.
To give you an example, my telly, bluray, xbox360, HD Sat receiver, Wii, Acer Revo, wireless repeater and cinema system are all in one place and run off an extension cable. With everything on they use around 600 watts so well under the capacity of the wiring. When they are turned into standby / off the total standby wattage is around 45-68 watts.
I got into the habit of turning them off at the wall when I went to bed and it made a noticible dent in the electricity bill. I now have a remote controlled socket which turns everything off at the push of a button - cost me a fiver from Morrisons and saved me almost what I paid for it in the first month of usage.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

What I have is a "wireless power plug" when the pc switches on all the associated stuff gets power, I have it it all connected to a 4 way extension. So I press the on button on the controller and the pc wakes up*, the 5.1 speakers get power (they were taking 20W on standby  Crazy) and the printer gets power. The reverse happens when I press off. This way when the pc is off everything else is, bar the router/modem/laptop/associated hdd's etc.
*To wake the pc on power on change the bios to "wake on power on".
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Hairy
What I have is a "wireless power plug"

@HB:- do you have more details?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked at the OneClick IntelliPanel ?
Instruction sheet -  http://www.oneclickpower.com/pdf/OneClickIntelliPanelDSK205.pdf
or watch the Desktop IntelliPanel video  -  http://www.oneclickpower.com/Videos.aspx  (nice presenter  :-*)

I have several different models for my various computers and audio/video equipment, they work very well AND you get the additional benefit of having surge protected sockets.
With a bit of shopping around I generally pay about £4 for the plugs and £6 for the panels.
You can often get a single IntelliPlug FOR FREE from your electricity supply company - which I why you can get them for next to nothing on eBay because so many people were given them and immediately sell them.
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@purleigh:- thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome  !  Wink
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

One thing that confuses me on the intellipanel PDF:
From now on, your desktop computer and anything in the peripheral sockets will automatically power down approximately 5 seconds after you shut down your desktop computer.

If the PC is powered down by the socket strip, there is no +5vsby for the power switch to trigger the PSU and draw power to turn the strip on Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I acquired one of these devices free from the council during one of their 'green credentials' periods.
It has a 'controller' output into which I have my PC plugged.
A 'controlled' output into which I have a trailing socket feeding stuff like a printer, monitor, powered speakers etc.
An 'uncontrolled' output into which I have my router.
It all works fine....but I haven't checked the power drain of the whole set-up when it's asleep.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PeeGee -
I understand what you are saying, but you're reading it slightly wrong.
The rephrase the quote -
When you shutdown your computer (as normal), approximately 5 seconds later the peripheral sockets will have the power automatically removed.
Power is NOT removed from the MASTER socket, so your PC's PSU will still be able to supply the standby current (as before).
Actually the MASTER socket learns what both the normal and standby operating currents are, and then self adjusts it's switching point to a suitable value in between the two.  The works well most of the time, and the way this operates is subtly different between the various models (desktop / laptop / video-audio), because of the differing power characteristics.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I got my power socket in a pack of 4 from Asda, with remote control. *This is similar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pack-Wireless-Remote-Control-AC-Electrical-Power-Outlet-Plug-Switch-Sock...
As opposed to the "Master" type when it is off it is off, the pc is not powered (saving 20W on my psu @ standby) A power monitor is also useful but not essential, I have one that the unit to be tested plugs into then it is plugged into the mains. You can then monitor the power in use/on standby etc.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: purleigh
@PeeGee -
I understand what you are saying, but you're reading it slightly wrong.

I beg to differ  Wink I believe I am reading it right, but the explanation is wrong  Cheesy As you say (but not the PDF)
Quote from: purleigh
Power is NOT removed from the MASTER socket

I just turn the socket strip off at the wall  Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Interesting thread and I didn't know that there were such things as remote-control power sockets.
I got so fed up with trying to bend down under the desk to tun everything on/off that it all just gets left on 24/7.
Just seen these and they have good reviews, too.I may invest in them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I got another set from Aldi when they had them last year, but they are all of a muchness. The remote on mine will control 5 devices, but you only get 4  Sad Asda/Tesco/etc do them for about the same price (£15-20)
You can dis/enable individually or all at once. My mate used to use them for lamps, router etc, so from his chair he could switch on his router (upstairs) I just leave mine on 24/7.
picbits
Rising Star

Mav - they are almost identical to the ones I have from Morrisons for a fiver each (different coloured buttons).
The only downside of the ones I have is that they occasionally fail so won't turn on or off - looks like the relay contacts have fused.
Also if the power is removed you have to reprogram them (ten second job)
Not sure about the ones on Amazon but worth grabbing one for a fiver from Morrisons to see if you get on with them.