cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible bogus anti-virus program called Antivirus Live

juliasdream
Grafter

Possible bogus anti-virus program called Antivirus Live

I have a laptop which has been badly effected by wat appears to be a bogus ant virus program.
I cant make a move on the computer without getting infection notices and none of them are coming from the installed AVG program.
Another program comes up saying this or that file is infected.
I tried loading on Antimalwarebytes and spybot but they are also being blocked by it
I kept getting a message to activate my antivirus software by clicking on a certain button
Without being connected online I clicked on it to get the following address
http://platinum-antivir.com/purchase?r=59.7
I just googled http://platinum-antivir.com/ and got lots of sites offering removal tools but dont know any of them so cant even be sure if they are all genuine.
I'm afraid to try any of them just like that ibn case I choose one that could also be bogus getting me into even deeper waters
Could anyone please advise
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Possible bogus anti-virus program called Antivirus Live

Yeah its rife at the moment online,do a system restore to a safe date and then delete the point that has this file on it.Hope that helps
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
hulls
Grafter

Depending what flavour of Windows you're running - start up in safe mode and run Malwarebytes, Spybot or similar.
John
Not applicable

Have you fixed this yet?
If not, HERE Is a thread from Computeractive forum about the same subject. The OP did manage to get rid of it in the end.
There are some useful links contained therein.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If at all possible get the disk out of the laptop and connect it to a known clean system, then scan it with a selection of standard antivirus tools including malwarebytes.
Most modern laptop disks are SATA and are easily connected to a modern desktop PC either internally or externally via a USB/SATA adapter.
Variants on this thing seem rife at present and trying to get rid of it without using another (clean) system can be very difficult.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

with ref to HP Sauce above..... Maplins do a nice unt that copes wth IDE and SATA drives...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=48965&C=SO&U=Strat15
Plugs into the usb socket. but also has a 12v adapter if the HDD is large and needs extra power.... there is another set of leads (not shown but included) for connecting SATA drives...
When connected to another computer by the USB, the hdd on the caddy is then seen as an extra drive.... and can be accessed in the same way, to transfer or manipulate files and folders
David_W
Rising Star

If you can bring up the page (hopefully you can) try:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx
It should detect the malware and remove it, although if you are using Vista/Windows 7 it's installed by default, just go to start > run and type Defender, then scan your system
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Juliasdream, you seem to have more than your fair share of tricky computer problems! 
Conventional products like AVG and Windows Defender often have a blind spot for this type of malware.  Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware usually work, but only if you can figure out how they are being blocked and overcome it.  SuperAntiSpyware has an alternate start feature in case it is the name of its executable that is being blocked.
Otherwise you will have to mount the hard drive as a secondary drive on another computer to clean it out.  But be aware that this will remove infected files but will not correct the registry entries that have been tampered with.