cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Nvidia driver issues with Windows 10 upgrade?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Possible Nvidia driver issues with Windows 10 upgrade?

Quote from: NoZephy
@PitchBlack
This might be seriously useful, I use it on every new install of Windows or any time I have to uninstall display drivers.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/550192/wagnard-tools-ddu-gmp-tdr-manipulator-new-cpu-core-a...
The tool boots into safe mode and uninstalls the display driver for you but at the same time it stops windows and windows update from automatically applying a different version of the display driver automatically.
I had an issue before where whenever I would uninstall Nvidia's driver and reboot it would keep re-installing older versions of the Nvidia driver as soon as I booted up. So annoying but thanks to this tool it stops it from happening completely.

The above driver appears to be giving issues with some Win 10 upgrades, and the discussion seems to be at risk of getting lost in what is already a 40 page 'parent' thread (and likely to get much bigger, I suspect.)
I'm running Win7 64 on an HP Pavilion desktop, and the following driver update offered as an option via Windows update repeatedly fails to install:
nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Installation date: ‎30/‎07/‎2015 08:31
Installation status: Failed
Code 80070103  Windows Update encountered an unknown error

Apart from that, when I run Geforce Experience it updates itself, and then closes, although its .exe file still shows as running in task manager (and refuses to 'end process') - so I uninstalled it altogether.  Tongue
No actual problems that I'm aware of with the current drivers, but I'm struggling to get my head round this issue, and wondering whether the above is typical behaviour and likely to cause problems when I do upgrade (won't be for a while even when I do receive the download, which is currently 'We'll let you know when the upgrade is ready to be installed on this PC. Learn more. (clickable link but it doesn't actually do anything!  ::))
16 REPLIES 16
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Possible Nvidia driver issues with Windows 10 upgrade?

I have version GeForce 353.62 WHQL driver . from win10 update and have no problems whatever .
have you tried to DL from here instead http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-353-62-windows-10-driver-download.html ;
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
JayG
Pro

Thanks for that, although it will be more helpful to other users (my chipset doesn't appear to be supported by that driver - too modest a performer to be worth bothering about I suspect.)
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I thought that support for the nForce 430 had ended - it never worked well in my system anyway (the initial XP install crashed the few times I installed the (then current) driver, but sort of worked with a later edition) and I later installed a G210 card to free up the system memory that had been reserved.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
JayG
Pro

The current driver is dated 31/01/2013 (v9.18.13.783) so there must have been at least 1 update since I bought the computer about 4 years ago, but none since (not that actually install and work, anyway!)
I think there must be plenty of these chipsets out there on Win7 machines potentially just waiting to spring a surprise on would-be upgraders - another reason not to be in too much of a hurry to install it (or perhaps MS will deem my PC 'unsuitable' after all.  :-\)
JayG
Pro

Quote from: JayG
...or perhaps MS will deem my PC 'unsuitable' after all.  :-\)

Confirmation wasn't actually hard to find having clicked on the Win 10 task bar icon (see attachment - love the suggestion in the bottom left!  :(.)
Not a lot of joy for the many lumbered with the NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated graphics chipset - not sure I'm desperate enough to try the workaround, and even less sure I want to start messing around with a new graphics card and probably PSU, configuration settings, and heaven knows what else:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860353/geforce6150se-nforce430-windows-10-display-driver/?o...
PeeGee
Pro

You could try a 1GB GT610 "silent" PCI-e x16 card (less than £30) if you have a free slot. It is rated at 1W less than the G210 "silent" I have and both "require" a 300W PSU, according to nVidia. That assumes the series is Win 10 compatible Shocked
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
JayG
Pro

Thanks PeeGee - worth a look - so far I've not found any indication that it's not compatible with Win 10, although that's not quite as reassuring as finding confirmation that it definitely is!
Time for patience I think - I'm sure there will be many similar problems arising in the near future, and who knows, maybe even some official support and fixes..  Undecided
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

For several weeks despite my best efforts I could not get the Windows 10 Upgrade reservation icon to appear on my Windows 7 task bar. Yesterday it appeared.
On running it tells me that Windows 10 cannot be run on my HP PC because NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 is incompatible / there  are no supported networking devices (I have nVidia nForce 10/100 ethernet)
I looks like I may be running Windows 7 until my computer expires. It is old enough not to want to spend on updating the hardware.
PeeGee
Pro

The nVidia [ulr=http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers]drivers page[/url] does not list Win10 drivers for the nForce 430. However, it does list (as of 29th) drivers for the G210 (which I have) and the GT610 (as well as a lot of others!)
Phil
JayG
Pro

Quote from: PeeGee
You could try a 1GB GT610 "silent" PCI-e x16 card (less than £30) if you have a free slot. It is rated at 1W less than the G210 "silent" I have and both "require" a 300W PSU, according to nVidia. That assumes the series is Win 10 compatible Shocked
Phil

At least one person has had difficulties persuading Win10 that they have deactivated the on-board nForce 430 and are using the GT610 instead (post #14):
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860353/geforce6150se-nforce430-windows-10-display-driver/?o...
Although the GT610 seems like good value, especially if it does work with Win10, as a non-gamer it goes against the grain to be forced to pay for an otherwise unnecessary hardware upgrade to make what is supposed to be a 'free' Windows upgrade work properly - at 5 years my PC is not exactly ancient, although the nForce 430 chipset originated a few years before that I believe.
PeeGee
Pro

Interesting, I installed the "app" on my (about) 10yr old ASUS M/B system (on-board n430 and G210 PCIe card) yesterday and, after it finished the analysis, it indicated it was compatible. The BIOS is set for "single monitor on either on-board or PCIe" - the alternative is dual monitor.
I have not tried to update the system, though.
Phil
JayG
Pro

Quote from: PeeGee
I have not tried to update the system, though.

Have you tried the update yet?
(Go on, you know you want to, and you know I really want you to too!  :D)
PeeGee
Pro

At the moment, I'm not sure I'm bothered - firstly because of the privacy/security issues that have been raised and secondly because of the hassle involved. To ensure my system doesn't get screwed (after losing 2 years worth of photographs because XP deleted 3 logical partitions instead of the 2 requested and also having just taken 2 days to install a copy of Win 7 for test purposes on another system because the installer is next to useless), I would have to copy the first 3 partitions of an 80GB disk onto a 40GB disc and make that bootable, then disconnect the three disks in the system, attach and boot the new disk and remove references to the 2 partitions no longer available, download the update and install it!
That sounds worse than I was thinking Shocked
On the other hand, what are the chances of overwriting a single partition Win 7 with the three partitions and getting the unchanged "BIOS" boot sector run the replacement Win 7? Both systems boot the first partition.
Phil
sjptd
Grafter

(after losing 2 years worth of photographs because XP deleted 3 logical partitions instead of the 2 requested If you have now done further operations on the disk most may be lost, but worth trying Zero Assumption Recovery and you may well get many photos back.
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.aspx
There is a free one that should recover photos.  I bough the full one some time ago (it was quite a bit cheaper then) and it's been a godsend on several occasions