Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding not working correctly

sjmuz

Port Forwarding not working correctly

Hi

Can anyone help me please.

I am trying to connect to a CCTV system via my phone and have been set up on the relevant app. I have set up port forwarding and opened the ports to make the CCTV playback feature work. They seem to work for a short period of time (about 10  mins) then port closes and I have to log back into the advanced port forwarding feature on the broadband router and reconnect.

I am not technical at all but would appreciate some help.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
sjmuz

Re: Port Forwarding not working correctly

I have been allocated a static IP address but this doesn't seem to stop the problem.

Thanks

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You realise the mods will move this topic to the tech forum... you've posted it in general chat lol.

No idea but if it's a plusnet router don't get too hung up on the idea of reliable port forwarding. Plusnet supplied routers have a tendancy to be a bit hit and miss.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
sjmuz

Thanks 7Up, didn't realise there were different forums, new to all of this!

I thought that may be the case, so I will look to buy one, are all routers compatible with Plusnet?

Are there any that I should look at?

Thank you

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Any 3rd party router is compatible with plusnet - electronic communication between your computer / router and the ISP (plusnet) uses protocols that are common to all ISP<>Router communication.

What you will need to do though is make sure you get the correct type for your connection - if you're using adsl then you want a adsl / dsl router. If you're on a fibre connection then you want a fibre router - etc.

Can't comment on the best, worst etc... I don't have enough experience with them all. I've only ever bought one router new - a cisco thing from pc world. Super reliable but it didn't show stats or have any advanced features.. but cost £96! I'd never pay that much again...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!