cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poppy, I need technical help please.

Santiago
Grafter

Poppy, I need technical help please.

Since you are now the Linux geek/guru I thought I might as well just ask you straight out.
I am using Ubuntu 810 in a laptop. I have installed AWN and it works nicely. My question is how do I get it to begin at start up automatically rather than start it manually each time I start the computer?
19 REPLIES 19
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Poppy, I need technical help please.

I don't know if this is the approved method, but putting an appropriate command in
/etc/init.d/rc.local
would do the job.
Be very careful how you do this - and you will have to repeat this after every upgrade - potentially every 6 months.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's an easier way in Ubuntu I think, though it needs to be done as root in a terminal:
update-rc.d awn defaults

Though that does assume that the program executable is indeed called awn. That should sort it though.
VileReynard
Hero

That's very neat.
It does the same job but more thoroughly.
however the man page says
Please note that this program was designed for use in package maintainer scripts and, accordingly, has only the very limited functionality required by such scripts. System administrators are not encouraged to use update-rc.d to manage runlevels. They should edit the links directly or use runlevel editors such as sysv-rc-conf and bum instead. 

Yes bum (boot-up manager) is available - but it appears to be set up to try to start all daemons by default.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Interesting - never read the whole man page, just used it as it was recommended on several forums for things (most recently sabnzbd). I've never had any issues with it, but definitely better safe than sorry.
VileReynard
Hero

You can view man pages in firefox:-
This is a steal from http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-276547.html
sudo apt-get install apache2 man2html
Now depending on your setup, you may have unmet dependencies, so accept whatever extra packages apt says you need to install along with the above.
When the installation(s) finish(es), take note of the last line of the response. It shows you the URL you need in order to view man pages in your browser.
Typically that URL is:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/man/man2html
Of course you'll want to bookmark this page.
Now open that URL in your browser of choice (I recommend Firefox - read on).
On the web page you'll see a box; That's where you enter the command you'd enter if you were viewing it in a terminal (sans the "man" portion).
So, if you want a man page for the "less" command you'd simply type "less" in the box and you'd see the man page for the command.
Now this still is a bit cumbersome, In fact, it's faster just to view man pages the old fashioned way (in a terminal).
However....
This is where it gets cool, quick and easy (if you're using Firefox).
Bookmark the above URL in Firefox.
Then go to your bookmarks menu and open your bookmarks (like you would if you wanted to organize them).
Find the above bookmark.
Right click on it and select properties.
Now, you need to make two changes here.
In the "Location" section, append the URL with.
?query=%sStep 2.
Right below the location box is a keyword box. In that box enter man.
So in my case, all I have to do to view a man page in Firefox is to type man <command> in the location bar!
Therefore, typing the following in the Firefox Location bar:
man aptitude.....would give you a web page (suitable for printing) with everything that you'd see in a terminal had you typed "man aptitude" there (but nicely formatted and with hyperlinks to related commands)!
That's it!

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Begads you guys like doing things the hard way!
From the AWM manager , right click on the awn task bar and choose Dock Preferences, click on the Automatically  Start at login. see pic
For others just add them to the Preferences/Startup manager!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I have an excuse - my ubuntu box is headless so has no GUI installed.
Not applicable

You can view man pages

I've been viewing man pages ever since I came into this forum! They always seem to make things more difficult than they are IMO.
Santiago, I think, is taking the mick and biker is quite right, of course.  Tongue
Santiago
Grafter

@poppy, I am not taking the mick at all, well not in this case anyway.
I remember you saying you had installed the  awn and done some configurations. Therefore I thought I would call on you new found geekability.
Thanks Mick, I prefer your plan rather than earlier mentioned scary versions but I don't get the option Dock Preferences.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

@ orbrey, well if you use the non GUI ver then you can't have AWN running Grin
@Santiago, hmm possible because I don't use the one in the repo's, I use the Testing Package" version http://wiki.awn-project.org/DistributionGuides#Testing_Package_Archive
just add the PPA, and install the awn - trunk versions using synaptic.
Or try the Preferences/AWM manager that should do the same. BTW who is Mick?
Can't remember why I changed, think there was something I wanted to use that wasn't in the standard version. I have found no issues with it YMMV  Tongue
Santiago
Grafter

Sorry biker955, Mick was a brain fart I had, not concentrating
I will have a look for the other version, thanks
Not applicable

Can't get used to being a geek Santiago - I don't deserve it really because I'm not clever enough.   Embarrassed
The long complicated instructions seem to be a theme in the Linux world and if anything  would put a new user off this would. They baffle me!
I can't tell you how many long-winded methods I have used in trying to get my wireless card to work and in the end it was just one click.
Anyway, the Awn manager is good and now I have it 3D so very stylish indeed.
As biker says, start up is a tick box in General Preferences/General tab. If you google it there are one or two videos about the settings.
Sometimes putting application on it are a bit troublesome. Have found that drag and drop from Applications seems to do the trick.
I added a Documents launcher but alas it won't stay on without the accompanying desktop shortcut so that rather defeats the object.
PS Got my version from Add/Remove.
Santiago
Grafter

Ok thanks geek! I'm going to have a play with it later, will let you know what happens
HairyMcbiker
All Star

There is yet another way (isn't there always 10 ways of doing something in *nix 8)) With Mint you can right click the icon in the Menu and choose Launch when I log in
@poppy, were you trying to add it to the awn launcher? If so start the config then choose Launchers, then add a new launcher with the title you want and the command 'nautilus /home/poppy/Documents'
You can change the icon by clicking on the picture on the RHS and choosing stock icons.