Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop ups with internet explorer

netreg
Grafter

Pop ups with internet explorer

Hi all, i need some advice....
I got my wife a little netbook a few weeks ago and i have one small issue with it which i cant work out.  When internet explorer is used we keep getting other IE windows opening up with adverts from other sites which at times are a little inappropriate. I have run several malware and spyware and virus checks and anything that gets reported, i clear but it continues to happen.
I know a lot will say don't use IE and i am the same but habits are hard to break where my wife is concerned...  that aside, can anyone suggest what else i can check to find out what it causing this....  Undecided
my thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16
pd
Grafter

Re: Pop ups with internet explorer

Hi Netreg
You can block pop-ups in IE from the privacy tab under Tools/Internet Options.
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: pd
Hi Netreg
You can block pop-ups in IE from the privacy tab under Tools/Internet Options.

The Pop-up blocker is on, but yet they still pop up
Denzil
Grafter

If you are finding things each time you run your malware checkers then it looks like the nasties are getting in regularly. What antivirus software do  you use? Is it running all the time? It sounds to me like something unpleasant has installed itself that the AV isn't finding. Is the netbook only used at home? Do you regularly plug in memory cards or USB sticks? 
samuria
Grafter

The first move is to run IE with no add ons and see if that stops it see
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
for details of how to do this. If it stops then you know its an add on and the above show how to turn off these as well.
If you still get it can you run msconfig from the run in the start menu and post a list of what you have running at startup
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: Denzil
If you are finding things each time you run your malware checkers then it looks like the nasties are getting in regularly. What antivirus software do  you use? Is it running all the time? It sounds to me like something unpleasant has installed itself that the AV isn't finding. Is the netbook only used at home? Do you regularly plug in memory cards or USB sticks? 

Hi Denzil,
I am using Comodo Internet Security software v3.8.64739.471.  The netbook is only used at home, and only by my wife who really only uses it to check bank balance Sad  Facebook Smiley and obviously some other internet usage..  She doesn't download anything and doesnt use any memory cards or usb sticks..

Quote from: Samuria
The first move is to run IE with no add ons and see if that stops it see
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
for details of how to do this. If it stops then you know its an add on and the above show how to turn off these as well.
If you still get it can you run msconfig from the run in the start menu and post a list of what you have running at startup

Hi Samuria,
I will give your suggestion a go and see how things go over the next few days..  I have added screen dumps of what is currently in the startup tab

regards
Denzil
Grafter

I don't know how good Comodo is, but it is worth trying a scan with some different AV software. <a href="http://free.avg.com/">AVG</a> and <a href="http://www.clamwin.com/">ClamWin</a> are both effective, and free to download.
barky
Grafter

haven't used IE much recently - still there (of course) & I have IE7 pro installed - which should assist in getting rid of pop ups etc, far better than the built in features in IE
seems to work fine with IE8 too --- from what I have read, it would seem the anti virus part of comodo internet security isn't (yet) a strong point of the security suite -- you can install just the firewall part & use another anti virus (AVG, Avast ...) which will offer better protection -- got comodo firewall & avast on my home pc, disabled the defense+ part of comodo & all seems to run OK
netreg
Grafter

Guys, thanks for the suggestions.  I will give that a go regarding adding avast and see if that sorts things out... 
netreg
Grafter

ok this is driving me crazy  Angry  I still cannot work out how to stop these damn pop up windows
I have run antivirus checks, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and still they keep happening..  I have Turn on Pop-up Block enabled so i am presuming that it might be an Add on causing this. Problem is that i cannot track down which one and with

this is an example of a pop up window that occurs but they seem to change each and everytime..
http://www.getyourbillspaid.co.uk/CID8/?pid=83&pcid=321&opid=3&subid=21442-
any advice is greatly appreciated....
thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could run HijackThis and post the  results in this forum http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=ae19cb205b25d571c3c165aeec3446bc
samuria
Grafter

Did you run IE without addons as previous post and did they stop in that mode?
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: Samuria
Did you run IE without addons as previous post and did they stop in that mode?

Yes i did run without addons and the tests i performed did not produce any pop ups Smiley
I have submitted a Hijack log as Oldjim suggested, just waiting to see if anyone replies to that
cheers guys
Not applicable

Although you like IE, what about trying Firefox with Adblock Plus and Noscript? Might be worth giving it a go - would be interesting to see what happens then.
samuria
Grafter

If it works with addon disabled all you need to do is open IE choose manage addons and disable them you can do one by one and see how it works out. Some should be obviously ok like big names adobe, google etc. Disable all your not sure of as you can re enable them later if needed. Test its ok and you can add them back in one by one until you find the one giving the problems.
If you post the name of the addons we may be able to spot the problem