cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop-up mesage for IE 6 users

mentalist3d
Grafter

Pop-up mesage for IE 6 users

Was originally going to post for help, however I found what I needed and thought I'd post the links here for others to use.
The Problem: My site doesn't display correctly to users of IE6 and so I needed a script that would recognise the browser and give the user a message stating that they need to upgrade if they wish to view the site the way it is intended
Solutions found: 2 solutions, one solution blocks IE6 users completely but provides a pop-up to let them know why there blocked and a link to upgrade, the 2nd solution checks all browsers and recommends the user upgrade to the latest browser version, but still displays the site (I went for the 2nd solution as it seemed the least harshest)
Links:

• http://css-tricks.com/ie-6-blocker-script/

• http://www.pushuptheweb.com/

8 REPLIES 8
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: Pop-up mesage for IE 6 users

I know that IE6 is well outdated but personally I would try to fix the reason for the site not being displayed properly. Lots of people with Windows XP and automatic updates turned off will still be using IE6. If It was my site I would not want to block these people or ask them to upgrade. If they have not upgraded already they probably won't just for your site or probably don't know how.
csogilvie
Grafter

Also consider whether anyone is using Windows 2000 to view your site, as from memory, IE7+ is not available on this platform.
barky
Grafter

making things display right in IE6 is a real pain & the bulk of those still using it will probably be unable to update  - mostly on work computers where they are limited users +  many of them will will be using other older software & hardware that only works with IE6.
Microsoft have compounded the pain by deciding to support IE6 until 2014 -- for a browser that should have died when vista came along, well probably earlier!
not making it work in IE6 should encourage some tech depts to upgrade to IE8 - where possible
IE6 has held back the internet for long enough already
mal0z
Grafter

I agree - IE6 is a right pain, and even IE7 still has problems - MS should be ashamed of them.
But I deal with the problems but loading a extra css file for browsers less than IE7 using  this code:
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<link href="/css/main_ie.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<![endif]--> <!-- if less than IE7 - i.e. IE6,5 etc -->
<!-- Conditional statement to load extra css info for lower than IE7  -->

mentalist3d
Grafter

I've still got a load of work to do on the site as it spans a few sub-domains using different technologies (html, cms, php galleries) so my main concern was to at least notify users of IE6 why the pages aren't displaying correctly and nudge them to upgrade where possible, the fix I found on the 2nd link posted  was a good short term solution for me.
I did consider toying with the idea of blocking IE6 users as I don't like them viewing a site that isn't displaying correctly as it reflects badly on the site (but then so does blocking them), and it isn't fair to them just because they may be limited by the technology they are using, and also they might be potential customers.
When all the sites are finished, I will go back and try fix the IE6 issues as ultimately I want my site as accessible as possible, I'm not looking forward to it though as I've heard from others how much a pain it is. So far in the past I've only ever had to fix small issues but that was always for smaller less complicated sites, so was never really a problem.
I can see many long nights ahead with much expletives - Cheers MS
mal0z
Grafter

What sort of problems are you having - ? - how are the sites constructed - using tables for layout for css ? - did you construct and test using Firefox or other compliant browser ? first and then test with IE6 & 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you run this prog for i.e. 6, 7 it will tell you what you lack of combatability is  http://browsershots.org/
mentalist3d
Grafter

Sorry for the late reply, been moving to a new office, so trying to juggle a lot of things about:
@pierre_pierre: cheers for the link, I'll check that out the now Smiley
@mal0z: The site is structured by CSS and uses a free CSS template that I've further modified (changing & adding CSS classes and graphical changes). The site has been tested on Firefox, Safari, Opera and later versions of IE and there is no major issues. I checked on IE6 as an afterthought as I've never had a problem with the other browsers.
In IE6 the main content area gets nudged to the bottom of the page by the navigation so I roughly know what is causing the issue and I don't think it is going to need a major fix, just need to do some more learning Smiley The site is partially active lol and I am implementing some changes but you can view the site at: www.concepts.org.uk