cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop up ads

coastergrotto
Grafter

Pop up ads

I am not the only suffering this as a travel forum I post on three other people have report this happening.  Since last night unwanted items keep popping up- like adverts for loans or bingo etc.    This morning I loaded the BBC sports page up and then suddenly up popped this Bingo ad.
My Pop up blockers are set to High.  I ran Ad Aware and AVG and nothing showed up yet still they appeared.    In the end I ran System Restore back to last Friday and that seems to have cured the problem.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this?
7 REPLIES 7
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Pop up ads

Must be Malware the above couldn't pick up .. had a similar problem on a laptop. I ended up rebuilding it, as I spent a few hours trying to get rid of some stuff and gave up Smiley
Heard some good things about Malwarebytes both on this forum and others, so may be worth bearing in mind if you get a similar problem again.
samuria
Grafter

It will have been some sort of Malware and as it was running the anti spyware may not have caught it as often they block and anti spyware so it cant see it.
It will be something you have clicked on to install without realizing what you were doing. AV often wont pick it up as its not a virus
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Alex
Heard some good things about Malwarebytes both on this forum and others

I'll echo that sentiment a thousandfold - it's a regular part of my 'toolkit' when fixing computers, and it's absolutely brilliant for that.
B.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks for that.      Downloaded  Malwarebytes and it immediately found 3 Objects infected.    Is it worthwhile me still keeping Ad Aware now I have Malwarebytes?
coastergrotto
Grafter

Adware.Navipromo.H  were the three infected objects picked up by the Malwarebyte scan, which took a fraction over 2 hours to run.
samuria
Grafter

All the malware tools are a bit late as the horse has already bolted try
Winpatrol from
http://www.winpatrol.com/
Its different it monitors you system and wont let anything change without it barks at you and asks if it ok. So any spyware cant be installed as it blocks it before the horse bolts.
It doesnt scan but it catches most virus and spyware before it gets installed
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks Samuria, have downloaded that programme also.  Have had no further instances of these Pop Ups all afternoon and evening.