cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi

stjohns10

Poor wifi

Morning All

Looking for some advise. I have recently joined and found out that my router is limited on devices linked to it. I have 30+ bits of smart tech to connect and am now finding out some are not working.

My question is can I bin off the Plusnet router and fit and new one. Been looking at wifi 6 ones as need the range due to living in a brick house.

Or would it just be easier to go back to my old ISP as had no issues with them other than price.....

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Poor wifi

@stjohns10  Welcome to the forum.

There are no problems using your own hub, settings are here  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Remember that you want a combined ADSL/VDSL modem/router, not a router despite Plusnet calling it one. Many of us use a BTSmarthub 6 bought very cheaply from an auction site. You will find information and settings pinned at the top of the Router board here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@stjohns10 

Have you still got your old router? You could try that.

Brian

stjohns10

I have been looking at the Huawei AX3 AX3000 WiFi 6 and wounder if it would do the job.

I just want WiFi in all the house(has brick wall)

Is there a way to get rid of the ISP router and just fit a more powerfully solution.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@stjohns10 That is a router only, as I read it - you will need to also purchase a modem unit.

Most houses have brick walls?

John
stjohns10

@jab1 All the new builds nowadays seem to be wood internals. Brick walls seem to be WiFi nemesis. I came from a small 1up 1 down house with no issues to a 3 bed and have had nothing but issues trying to get a decent WiFi signal when the furthest connection is only max 10m away.

Router only. Thanks for that may just help with the WiFi issues then.

Baldrick1

@stjohns10 

I'm afraid that I am getting boring on this topic (not with you, it's a general problem). You need a combined ADSL/VDSL modem/router NOT a router. You can use your proposed device but you will either have to use it in access point mode or buy a separate modem.

If you want the best guaranteed WiFi in all the house then buy a Mesh system with multiple satellites.

Personally a BT Smarthub 6 replaces the Hub One, costs peanuts and covers my brick built house pretty well but the choice is yours.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@stjohns10 

Having got off my Hobby Horse this might be helpful to you  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@stjohns10 wrote:

@jab1 All the new builds nowadays seem to be wood internals. Brick walls seem to be WiFi nemesis. I came from a small 1up 1 down house with no issues to a 3 bed and have had nothing but issues trying to get a decent WiFi signal when the furthest connection is only max 10m away.

Router only. Thanks for that may just help with the WiFi issues then.

I have brick walls and no problems - although my modem/router was a TG582N  when I was with PN. However, @Baldrick1's HH6 suggestion, or his later post are workable suggestions.

I will leave it to him now though, as he has more knowledge than me on this subject

John
stjohns10

@Baldrick1 I had a feeling it would be a popular question. Thanks for the advice will see if i can pick one up and give it ago. i have a few extenders but wanted to try and get it all from one point and get back a few sockets.