cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor show by Adobe

God
Grafter

Poor show by Adobe

Having used photoshop elements 2 on my XP box I decided to check out version 5 for my Vista Box. V5 runs under Vista although it does need a patch.
I downloaded the almost half a gig try before you buy version only to find it doesn't run under vista and no patch available!
All this despite the system requirement stating Vista is ok. Apparently only the full version works... so no try before you buy for Vista users.
How very annoying!
9 REPLIES 9
holdtight
Grafter

Re: Poor show by Adobe

Another thing that ive found annoying with Adobes products is the complete lack of any upgrade path its the full purchase price of a new version or nothing
I currently use photoshop 7 and elements 2 - i can justify the cost of elements V5 if its as good as i think it is although V2 still does all i need but buying the full version of CS3 is completely out of the question - Bah !
I think the least they could do is some kind of upgrade price reduction for users of their products
< rant over >
There must be someone not a million miles away that could possibly make it rain for forty days and forty nights over at Adobe head office eh  Grin
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Uhmm!... I've been using a bundled copy (very old) of PhotoShop LE (a bit like a cut down PS 5) which I've found perfectly adequate for my needs, for reasons which is not necessary to go into I found I needed to reinstall it but, needed the product key code, needless to say this has long since gone astray. An email to Adobe's customer service found they could they "think" provide this information on receipt of a scan of the manual and the disk which was duly done, sent off as an attachment and acknowledged by Adobe. After a lengthy delay with replies from several different signatories they have decided they don't keep records for this kind of thing for more than 2 years and my information has fallen off the edge of their system.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am using Photoshop CS2 which is very good but horribly expensive - upgrade to CS3 with full Vista support is a total no no.
But how about this product
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=42300
God
Grafter

I am running the 30 day trial of Paint Shop Pro photo X2 and it works just fine on Vista. But I dont think I would want to pay £70 (amazon) for it when elements 5 is a few quid cheaper.
Just annoyed that I can try it out beofre I buy it, there really isn't much excuse for them not having it sorted.
pberry
Grafter

I went from Photoshop (on the Mac) via PaintShop Pro to The GIMP. I've never looked back since. It's powerful, almost infinitely modifiable via millions of user-written plugins, and it's FREE. What more do you want?  Smiley
God
Grafter

I would like it to have the same interface as photoshop  Roll_eyes
But I must admit I have it installed as well and it does run on Vista.
I guess I am just being lazy, I know how to do what I want to do with the adobe interface and cant be arsed to learn it all again for another package.
holdtight
Grafter

Quote from: God
I would like it to have the same interface as photoshop

If thats the case then install and try Gimpshop which uses the original Gimp core with all its power and features but
has a GUI akin to photoshop hence the name gimpshop
I like it a lot a very powerful app indeed and with the added bonus of a familiar look and feel - ish
God
Grafter

Very good Bill. I will have a look at that 😉
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I haven't really had the chance to give GIMP a proper test run as yet, but really think I should. I've been running Photoshop CS3 for a little while now, and I'm not sure if I like how it deals with side menu's etc as much as CS2 did.
And now that my PC is dead and I'm stuck on this laptop, I guess it gives me plenty of time to read up on it!