cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusnetProtect support, anyone?

ArthurDent
Grafter

PlusnetProtect support, anyone?

Has anyone else had occasion to try to contact McAfee for support - and been successful?
And if so how, please?

As a licensee, PN don't really support directly but they did their best to point me in the right direction, without success so far.

Won't bore you with all the detail of my query, but am now thinking that I may need to kick PlusnetProtect into touch and go back to Kaspersky.
4 REPLIES 4
sjptd
Grafter

Re: PlusnetProtect support, anyone?

Most reviews and knowledgeable people agree that the various McAfee variants are pretty poor; lots of issues and probably worse protection than the standard Microsoft stuff.
I suggest the Microsoft offerings for the simplest and probably adequate support, Avast! free for the next step up, and a full package such as Kaspersky if you really feel you need it.
I don't know what received opinion on the professional packages is at the moment (other than laughing at McAfee).
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Oddly enough the latest variant of McAfee is getting better reviews now Intel have taken them over but I don't know which version Plusnet are offering
sjptd
Grafter

Interesting.  These things change but checking reviews from the last month show that McAfee must have improved a huge amount.  As you say, Plusnet may not be offering the latest version: can anyone from Plusnet comment?
Whichever AV tool you use it is always worth performing regular scans with Malwarebytes AntiMalware Free as well.  This catches and cleans lots of irritations that most AVs don't look at; in particular unwanted search engine and browser toolbar intrusions.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks both!
I changed from Kaspersky because, although my kit isn't ancient, I found it very demanding speedwise.
Re McAfee: I  do know that latest version includes a secure password archive facility, which doesn't seem to be in PN's offering.
Yes, I reckon MalwareBytes stuff. Installed the freebie ages ago and it disposed of something that standard AVs couldn't get rid of. When I encountered this latest rootkit prob I went as far as paying, in hope that that version would do the biz. Am also running the free beta of MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit, because the McAfee antirootkit didn't run for me. Strangely MBAR didn't touch it. either. False positive?