cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet telephone surveying me or scam?

TCSC
Dabbler

Plusnet telephone surveying me or scam?

I was cold call phoned up yesterday by someone purporting to be Plusnet. That is, if it really was Plusnet.  I never got into exactly what they wanted but it was either some sort of survey or they wanted to sell me more Plusnet services. Or it was a scam trying to get information out of me. After establishing who I was they asked me for my user name. I'm annoyed with myself because I gave it. They then asked me for two letters out of my password. At this point I explained I wasn't going to co-operate any more and hung up.
I tried to contact Plusnet on their website but ran into difficulties with their automated answer service. Not complaining about that because it was probably me not being able to work it properly. So I am here to ask if anybody knows if Plusnet calls up people in this manner?
The other reason I am here is that if it was a genuine Plusnet call, then they should not have asked me to provide ANY details. They called me, and I had absolutely no proof of who they really were. If pukka firms do this then it leaves the way open for criminals to try it on. There are enough vulnerable people out there that there should be a really concerted effort by the genuine web providers like Plusnet to do all in their power to stop them. I get up to 10 or more scam or cold calls every week, more sometimes. It only needs a few vulnerable people to fall for it and the criminals have made another few £thousand.
If it was genuine and they wanted to establish that I was who they thought I was, then the only reason I can think they might want to do so, is that they wanted me to make some changes to my service on the phone. Again they should not expect to be able to conduct business in this way. They are sailing too close to the wind of dodgy practice in my view.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet telephone surveying me or scam?

Quote from: TCSC
They then asked me for two letters out of my password.

Well if you have any suspicions then you simply give them wrong values at this point they should then be able to at least say 'That's not what we have'. You'll then have a better idea of who you're dealing with. Also, when they ask you for your username you should then say well you called me at least tell me what letter it starts with. If they can't or won't answer put the phone down.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I also just took a call from this number. I don't mind these calls, but Plusnet et al need to be aware that if you call me and then ask me to confirm some security details, I'm not going to do it.
I always politely decline, as I did this evening.
"Why?", you may ask. Well, you called me. Why do I have to confirm my identity, yet I am taking you at your word. There are just so many people out there trying to separate people from their cash on the telephone, that even legitimate calls will now be declined.
So, if you call me, I'm not going to give you any security details, not today, not ever. Sorry. Just send me the offers by email... I'll look if I think I might be interested.
Phil
TCSC
Dabbler

Phil and Mook, your advice makes sense and is how I normally respond to these calls. However, I am reaching my sell by date and am in danger of getting a bit muddled from time to time so I am sensitive to how these calls can be used by con men to scam money out of vulnerable people.
But I'm mainly here today to find out if Plusnet is in the habit of cold contacting its customers in this manner or was somebody trying to scam me? I wasn't able to get an answer directly from Plusnet, so I'm trying the forum.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I know they do call only if you have said they can when you signed up. However, do not take that as a definitive answer for your call yesterday and someone from Plusnet should be able to confirm / deny later today.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Good point Mook.
If it helps, you can log into the Plusnet Member Centre and update your communication preferences here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=modifyMailOptions
Note:
Please note that it may take up to 28 days for your request to be processed.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi TCSC, I appreciate your concerns around this phone call.
In all honesty I'm not entirely sure if the call in this instance came from us, as none of our staff appear to have accessed your account (Other than myself) since February.
However, having said this it is possible the call was from us/prompted by us as I can see you are currently opted in for the comms that Mook and w23 have mentioned above. If you'd prefer not to receive calls to discuss renewing/changing your products/contract moving forward, it would be best to update the communication preferences via the member centre Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet