cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router problems

Samdl2

Plusnet router problems

I wonder if anyone can help me.  We've been using a Netgear router for over 2 years now and it seems to have died at the weekend.  So, as I had kids moaning at the lack of internet I dug out my PlusNet technicolour router and connected it up.  Well the internet was back up and running pretty quickly, however my Wi-Fi extender was not happy at all and no matter how many times I typed in the password it kept telling me it was incorrect.  Eventually I plugged my laptop into the Wi-Fi extender with a lan cable and manually changed the password, this seemed to work. 
Now I have a new problem, we run 2 pcs, a sky box and  an apple tv using powerline adapters, these now appear to have stopped working.  I cannot get the PlusNet router to recognise them at all.  I have unplugged, re plugged, changed lan cables, re-set apple tv, sky box, pc etc. all to no avail. 
It is so bad I have now ordered a new replacement router but help as it won't arrive for two days and now nothing is working!!!
Any help will be greatly appreciated. 
9 REPLIES 9
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet router problems

you need to connect stuff via wifi rather than wired, the tg582 doesn't like more than 4 wired connections and frequently goes haywire.... most cheap isp supplied kit is like that though /
best bet would be to legit to the local computer type shop and pick one up, if your on adsl connection then something cheap from argos will probably do the job, if your on a fibre (vdsl) connection then you will need something better /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Please ignore the post above - It's nonsense.
Try resetting the powerline devices and setting them up again from scratch.
Samdl2

I've tried all the options I can think of.  I've turned the power lines off and then turned them back on one at a time but I'm not sure how to reset them, is that just turning them off?  If so I've tried that serveral times, rebooted router etc etc. 
Think I will just leave it for today as frustration level is way too high.  Hopefully a new router will fix the problem
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I really don't think this is a router problem. It's more likely down to the Netgear and PN routers using a different subnet.
Dig out the manual for the Powerline devices and check how to re-install them.  Turning off and on is not sufficient.
Once you've done this, work through your network logically -
1.  If possible, temporarily plug a PC into the router and test
2.  Check you have a connection LED lit on the router port you've connected to your powerline adapter
3.  Plug your test PC into the remote powerline adapter and test
If this doesn't work, post back with more details of how exactly your network is set up ie what is plugged into what and where!
Hope this helps.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the tg582 has always suffered with problems based on the number of devices limit, it registers everything in its device log and its standard mode assigns QOS as being an equal share in the interment connection between each device registered.
it was a problem 4 years ago and that is still true today, plug more than 4 things into the wired side and use the wifi and it doesn't work very well at all, I created a few posts on it back in 2013 and was told then by one of the techy CSR's the router was having problems because I had to much stuff connected,and my options were either replaceit with something better or stop using some of the stuff .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Since you have two routers that don't work, it seems unlikely that a third one will work properly.
It is likely that the fault lies elsewhere...
Do you have 5 powerline devices on the same "circuit" or do you have mixed speed powerline devices?
Does it work with a single device connected?
One possibility is to feed the wired devices through a cheap switch - with one common cable leading to the router.
The router still does wifi, internet, DHCP etc but doesn't do any internal routing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: vilefox
The router still does wifi, internet, DHCP etc but doesn't do any internal routing.

It still needs a routing table to know that there are multiple devices on a single port.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Very true - in fact it also has to respond to ARP broadcasts asking for the IP addresses allocated to devices on the network.
Might be worth running a wireshark capture to see if any particular kind of packet or address is failing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Samdl2

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.  My problem has now been resolved. My original net gear router had died and the plus net supplied technicolor one seemed unable to cope with our high demands. I have now purchased a new router, I have also worked out how to perform a factory reset on all our power line adopters.  The final problem seemed to have something to do with our sons computer running Skype on start up, once that was disabled and everything else sorted all is now working fine. 
We finally got it all up and running on xmas eve thanks to a friend of my husbands who installs networks, phew. We now have a functioning network which is coping with a total of up to 4 pcs, 3 xboxs, a smart tv, Apple TV and numerous smart phones and tablets, wow