Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet email using a mobile phone

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet email using a mobile phone

I cannot justify a Blackberry or iPhone etc. because I would not use them enough, since I am retired.  But occasionally it would be useful to be able to access email from my mobile phone.  When I am in France, which is regularly, it is easy - just look for a MacDonalds and they all have free WiFi, so I just take the laptop and sit in the car !
But it is not so easy here in the UK to find free WiFi hot spots, though I am sure they exist.
Vodafone charges apparantly 50 pence per day for up to 25Mb on my PAYG mobile phone, which seems a sensible alternative.  When WAP first came on the scene, I used to use it to get my email, but that was in the days of the very first Plusnet email platform - I cannot remember the name of it.  But it worked so well that I used to use it all the time even at home on the desk-top, because the download speeds for the WAP address using a dial-up connection in those days was far faster than the main Plusnet conventional webmail (this was pre-broadband).  But needless to say, I've long forgotten all the details, and perhaps they don't work anymore anyway.
So my question is what could I use today to access my email just using a simple, unsophisticated mobile phone ?  Mine is about five years old (Sharp GX15) and has WAP and GPRS, and I have no intention of changing it !  I am on Vodafone Pay-as-you-go and can evidently access a thing called Vodafone Live!
So how would I access my Plusnet email using this ?  Can anyone advise please ?
4 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Plusnet email using a mobile phone

You could use webmail if your phone has a browser?
Community Veteran

I'm guessing from what the OP says that it only has a WML browser, which won't be of much help. However, the phone does apparently support MIDP 2, which would allow the installation of a hopefully fairly usable version of Opera Mini, which could then perhaps be used to browse to PN's webmail. Or perhaps a mobile Java e-mail client might work, which would allow a direct POP3/IMAP to the necessary mailbox(es).
A note about WiFi by the way: as is the case in France, all McDonalds branches over here also offer free WiFi. (Well, they should do - I guess there's a possibility it might not have been rolled out completely yet.)
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well, thanks for that.  I was unaware about MacDonalds here in the UK offering WiFi also.  Excellent.  I shall try it. Smiley - the WiFi that is, not the MacDonalds !  They have it in Canada as well, but you have to pay !
As for the browsers, I shall try it.  Having difficulty getting the Voodoofone to work even with Voodoofone Live! at present and am waiting for answers from Voodoofone themselves.  But when i do get connected to the internet, I will try the browsers you suggest.  Many thanks for that too !
Fixes: 81

I found it best not to mention the name McDonalds in Vancouver Wink Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine