cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet connection and webinar audio issues

mitch101

Plusnet connection and webinar audio issues

Hi
It is now over 36 hours since I raised a support ticket with plusnet and they still have not responded, so any help/suggestions with this would be appreciated.
I have been told by gotowebinar.com support that an audio problem I'm having on webinars is due to ISP bandwidth restriction.
I can hear the host on the webinars but the voice is distorted and illegible. I have checked all relevant sound settings and rebooted. I have tried on a wireless Vista laptop and a wired XP PC both using my plusnet connection. My plusnet download speed is 4Mb on average. It is not a problem with my sound card or speakers.
gotomeeting.com support have identified the problem as a ISP issue (see attached screenshot). The first hop should only take 1ms or less but on the screenshot it takes 3ms. Each progressive hop takes longer which they say is consistent with the webinar audio issue I am experiencing. Anything above 150ms is too slow to adequately transfer the webinar stream and audio. They ran this test three times during the course of the day and all three produced the same results
3 REPLIES 3
James
Grafter

Re: Plusnet connection and webinar audio issues

The traceroute you've displayed actually shows that it's not us at fault.
The advice that you have been given regarding the first hop is rubbish.  It looks pretty normal for an interleaved connection.  The traceroute clearly shows that the delays are occurring once the traffic hits the llnw network which looks like it might be in France?
mitch101

Why couldn't you have answered this yesterday then?  What do you suggest? Turning interleaving off?  Give me some plusnet routes to trace.
James
Grafter

I don't answer tickets as I'm not part of the Customer Support Centre.
You could try running a trace to one of our DNS servers?  We could try turning interleaving off, but that's not going to make a massive difference as your traffic is still travelling several hundred miles.
DNS server: 212.159.6.9
It might be worth asking gotowebinar if llnw.net is part of their network as that is where the congestion appears to be occurring.