cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Unprotect./Mcafee are on something.

petecov44
Grafter

Plusnet Unprotect./Mcafee are on something.

Vulnerability scanner just installed Flash player for IE and Utorrent 3.4.2
Utorrent... - where viruses are free.
My PC does not need an illegal virus ridden program on it.
Ave a word  Roll_eyes
24 REPLIES 24
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Plusnet Unprotect./Mcafee are on something.

Plusnet protect installed uTorrent? That's the first time I've *ever* heard that. Plus uTorrent *isn't* illegal.
I'm confused?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

moved to Windows Software although from the tone Chit Chat may have been more appropriate  Roll_eyes
From my experience Vulnerability Scanners only update programs which are already there and don't install new ones
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Taken from McAfee Website
http://download.mcafee.com/products/webhelp/5/2057/index.html#GUID-C2DB8127-EF4D-42D3-9652-3882878A5...
With Vulnerability Scanner, you no longer have to wait to be notified when a Windows or program update is available. Vulnerability Scanner finds them first and installs them.
Here's how it works:
1 Vulnerability Scanner first checks for potential security issues in your Windows files and installed programs.
2 It then scans for software updates to repair any vulnerable Windows files and programs, and provides a detailed scan report that shows the number of updates found, and a description of each update.
3 Depending on the type of scan you run, Vulnerability Scanner can automatically install all updates, or you can select the updates you want installed.
4 Finally, Vulnerability Scanner provides a summary of installed or incomplete updates, and lets you know if there are additional updates that you need to install yourself.

Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TORPC
Grafter

I agree with OJ that there must of been original software on the machine
If you do not want to keep the Utorrent
Uninstall it using revo uninstaller free version, to remove all traces of it
Then reboot machine
Then run McAfee's (Vulnerability scanner) again
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks TORPC and Mike, I'd forgotten about that feature! But yes, the software needs to be there initially for it to be updated.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
petecov44
Grafter

Well I thought it was illegal.
And no I've never had it before.
TORPC
Grafter

It most likely came in on the backend of other software you have installed
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

To stop unwanted software installing on the  back of software you want, I would recommend giving Unchecky a try (it's free)
Unchecky.com
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TORPC
Grafter

In an Ideal world a 3rd party software should not be required, as one should be able to Check / Uncheck any additional software as it is shown before clicking on (NEXT / CONTINUE)
The main things are common sense & eliminating distractions from pets / children / other adults, not rushing to install the software etc, so that one can pay attention to what they are installing.
Before installing any software especially if one has never used it before, Research it, read up on it & understand it before deploying it on the PC / Device etc
Also one needs to pay attention to where one downloads the software that they want to install, (ALWAYS OBTAIN it from the manufactures website (WHERE POSSIBLE), even then they may use mirror sites, & or software bundles, especially for free(ware) software.
Would you buy a car without checking under the hood ?Huh
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

The problem with computers is not vastly different to cars - what average driver has a clue about what happens under the bonnet of a modern all electronic car?  They turn the key, drive it and take it to the garage for a service when the warning light comes on.
The big problem with installing computer software is that many install processes are design to trap the unwary to installing something they did not want / need.  Java / Adobe / Flash are particularly bad at all too unobviously by default installing browser add-ins or in extreme cases unwanted deficient new browsers (Chrome).
On many download sites, the big DOWNLOAD button next to the software you've found / want does not download the software, but downloads a downloader containing God only knows what!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

The last paragraph is why I NEVER use CNet as a download source. They used to be good but now never just let you install the software you want, instead downloading an 'installer package'.
John
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

... which they have wrapped around a perfectly good installer package already provided by the software author.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petecov44
Grafter

Yes I know what happens under the bonnet of a new car. No I didn't have it already.
You defend it all you want, it was shit back then it's shit now and I will just uninstall it - it's clearly Mccrappee and just a virus downloading viruses.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: petecov44
Vulnerability scanner just installed Flash player for IE and Utorrent 3.4.2

FACT: It would not have done that unless you already had them on your PC, probably installed without your knowledge when installing some other piece of software.
You can believe what you like, but for the sake of others visiting these forums, incorrect information needs to be corrected.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)